United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #1
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter
Default United's first European success

Quote:
European Cup final
Wembley, Wed 29 May, 1968

MANCHESTER UNITED 4
(Charlton 53, 99; Best 93; Kidd 94)

BENFICA 1
(Graca 81)

1-1 after 90 minutes
29/05/2008 08:00 - ManUtd.com, Steve Morgan
Report: United 4 Benfica 1

A hotel in rural Surrey, once a favourite crash pad of Queen Elizabeth I, played host to the United squad in the build-up to the 1968 final with Benfica. Presumably, Matt Busby reasoned that, if fit for royalty, it would at least be adequate for his potential Kings of Europe.

On the morning of the game, the boss called the players together for the final time, reminding them of their tactical responsibilities and reiterating the threat posed by Benfica’s attacking talents, notably Eusebio and their aptly-named 6ft 4in centre-forward Torres (torres means “tower” in Portuguese).

His players listened well; in the first half Alex Stepney’s only squeaky-bum moment was an angled shot from Eusebio that cleared his head and came back off the bar. But as an attacking force the Reds were uncharacteristically subdued. Only John Aston made any headway, constantly out-stripping his marker Adolfo down the left.

George Best, by contrast, was noticeable only in fits and starts; this was largely due to the attentions of his minder, Cruz, whose inability to distinguish between the ball and Best’s shins gave the impression he was on a piecework contract, escudos for bruises.

At half-time, Busby, alarmed by United’s anxiety in possession, had called for a more measured approach. The effect was almost instantaneous. Eight minutes into the second period, the Reds took the lead, Bobby Charlton rising to nod a deft header past Henrique from John Sadler’s left-wing cross.

Charlton later jokingly attributed the accuracy of his header to his celebrated bald patch, which he claimed had helped him “skid” the ball into the corner. The goal was a perfect antidote for Red nerves.

Caution was summarily chucked to the wind and a more familiar United emerged – dashing, cavalier, irresistible – the United of lore (although tragically not Denis Law who was watching from hospital after surgery on his knee).

Best, Sadler and Brian Kidd all had chances to put the game beyond Benfica. But with nine minutes to go, Otto Gloria’s team drew level, Graca driving past Stepney after United’s defence had failed to clear a Torres flick-on.

Benfica could have won it in the closing stages, notably through Eusebio who, with only Stepney to beat, hammered his finish straight into the keeper’s gloves. The shot became famous for knocking the air out of the ball, but it seemed to deflate Benfica too. In the opening four minutes of extra-time United cut loose, first through Best who, seizing Kidd’s flick-on, nutmegged his marker and then, with a trademark hip-shimmy, rounded Henrique before nonchalantly side-footing home.

Sixty seconds later, on 94 minutes, Brian Kidd, celebrating his 19th birthday, helped himself to United’s third, dispatching the rebound after his initial header was saved by Henrique. The tension, so palpable in the stadium after Graca’s equaliser, suddenly evaporated.

United fans, eager to participate in the unfolding momentousness, found their voice like never before, belting out a rendition of “We Shall Not Be Moved” that threatened to dislodge Wembley’s roof from its rafters.

Worsley-born Kenneth Wolstenholme, commentating for the BBC, called it a “tremendous concert”.

Before the final, Benfica’s boss had been asked what quality he feared most in United. “They all go forward and they all go back,” he said.

His worst nightmare was now upon him. The Reds came in waves, with Best, his marker Cruz now floundering on the outer edges of his shadow, riding the crest.

“George was an unbelievably fit lad,” Alex Stepney later observed. “By the end he was the only player still moving off the ball and making runs. Everyone else was knackered but George was still buzzing.”

Fittingly, it was Charlton, one of only two Munich survivors in the United line-up (Bill Foulkes the other), who completed the scoring on 99 minutes, connecting sweetly with a Kidd centre to send a first-time right-footer into the roof of the net from 10 yards.

At the final whistle United’s players didn’t cavort on the turf with each other; almost to a man they ran to the Reds’ bench, eager to share their triumph with Busby. Charlton went a step further, insisting that his manager lead the team up to accept the trophy. Busby refused, of course.

“The moment when Bobby took the Cup cleansed me,” said Sir Matt.

“It eased the pain of the guilt of going into Europe [brought about by the Munich air disaster in 1958]. It was my justification.”

And the ultimate validation of his vision.
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: United's first European success

ManUtd.com - 29/05/2008 08:00
Sir Bobby: Mixed emotions

How did it feel to win the European Cup? In his autobiography, Sir Bobby Charlton summed up his emotions after scoring his second, and United’s fourth, against Benfica…

It was triumph and deliverance all wrapped into one, but the deepest emotion would take a little time to well up. For the moment we had enough to do in getting to the finish. The contest was over, but we still had to play out the time. We still had to drag our bodies around and forget how much had been drained from us this night.

When the final whistle went my strongest sensation was worry for the Old Man. He really was, I felt, an old man. He had been through so much, and this was unquestionably the pinnacle of his football life.

For days he had been reminded of the meaning of the game, the legacy of Munich and how his boys had died in pursuit of this trophy. So many people believed that this night was for him and about him, and it was natural, I suppose, that everyone wanted to touch him at the end of the game.

When I got through to the Old Man, a great crowd of people, including some supporters, were holding on to him. Even though I was so tired, I started to drag them off. "Get off, give him some room!" I yelled.

Later I thought that was maybe a bit rude because the fans only wanted to express their happiness, but I was concerned at how he was being buffeted around. Eventually he got to his players and hugged them.

To be perfectly honest, I cannot tell you precisely my feelings at that moment. Fatigue, certainly. I do recall what it meant to embrace team-mates like Bill Foulkes, Nobby Stiles and Shay Brennan, who had been involved for so long – and maybe especially Bill because, like me, he had been on the snowy airfield and seen Matt Busby down and his team, our friends, destroyed.

I know there was an understanding that something was over, something that dominated our lives for so long. I walked to the dressing room and drank two bottles of beer, downing them in a rush, one after the other.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
rondwisan

ManUtd.com - 29/05/2008 08:03
Fans recall Wembley win

On 29 May, 1968, Manchester United tasted European glory for the first time with victory at Wembley over Portuguese side Benfica. With scores locked at 1-1 after 90 minutes, the match moved into extra-time, where the Reds scored three goals to triumph on a hot, humid night.

Here, four Reds share their memories of Matt Busby's finest hour:

Zyg Baranski, 17 (at the time)
My abiding memories are the heat, being parched, how quickly the match passed, Bobby Charlton’s headed goal – we knew we’d win if Bobby was scoring with his head – and Alex Stepney’s save from Eusebio.

I sat my ‘O’ level General Studies exam the morning of the match before rushing into town to meet my mates in a pub. We boarded a special train down to Wembley and were half-drunk on a mixture of alcohol and excitement.

We knew we’d won it quite early in extra-time, so there was tremendous jubilation and a release of emotion. Everyone sang and shouted. Everyone was in ecstasy, with beatific looks. There was something religious about it. A guy next to me was actually praying and thanking the "God of his fathers" for the victory.

Afterwards I was so deflated as I went looking for the trains back to Manchester. Yes we’d won, but like the players we’d given everything and had little left. The journey back home was almost silent, though as we fell out onto the railway platform at Piccadilly the whole train burst into one last song.

It’s up there with my very best United memories – maybe more so because it was my first trip to Wembley, which was a real football Mecca in those days.

Michael Webster, 16
Five of us, all 16, travelled in a car with our youth-club leader. I’d queued all night for tickets outside the Scoreboard End weeks earlier. Queuing was a waste of time though, because people rushed the ticket office when it opened!

You needed 40 out of 42 programme tokens for a ticket. My standing ticket in block B19 cost 10 shillings [50p]. I guarded it safely until the big day – and I still have it.

We all wore white butchers coats, with our scarves tied around our wrists. We stopped at nearly every service station to soak up the atmosphere. There must have been 70,000 Reds, far more than for a usual Cup final.

Johnny Aston was the media and fans’ scapegoat, but he was Man of the Match for many. It’s funny what you remember most vividly, like going in the Green Man pub by Wembley after the game. Beer was being passed from the bar – I’m not sure whether someone was buying it or stealing it, but we drank plenty!

You could buy the papers with match reports and photos at the service stations and Reds were snapping them up. We got back at 8am and walked past our headmaster’s house. He saw us wearing red and white and said: "I hope you’re going to school." We told him we'd just got home and he replied, smiling: "Okay lads, I’ll see you tomorrow."

Keith Udale, 17

I was swept up in a sea of emotion... with a throbbing finger! I was an apprentice at Simon Engineering in Stockport and the only way we could get off work was to be ill – anyone leaving early was threatened with dismissal – so I had to get one of my mates to crack my finger with a hammer! He did such a good job I needed a skin graft when I got back.

Despite that, I wasn’t nervous – I always had the feeling we would win. Four of us drove down. The others had been waiting for me since 12.30; just after 1pm the nurse said I should go home – no chance! All the way down there were cars with scarves out of the windows.

We parked at Watford and took the tube in, packed in like sardines – it must have been 95 per cent United fans. George Best was at his best, Benfica just couldn’t live with the magic. My other memories are of Brian Kidd, jumping for joy scoring on his birthday in the European Cup final; Stepney’s save from Eusebio that kept us in the game; and Sir Matt hugging Bestie and Charlton at the end – fitting for a great manager and a true gentleman.

David Hall, 21
I didn’t have a ticket because I was just short of the number of tokens. But one of my friends, Dan O’Donoghue, was doing his finals at Sheffield University and had an exam the next morning so he gave me his ticket.

The day before the match I went down to George Best’s boutique. George was there with Paddy Crerand and we talked about the match. Everyone thought United would win. There was no talk about the Babes or the 10th anniversary of Munich – George and Paddy were just looking forward to playing in a European Cup final.

I went down to Wembley with Dan’s younger brother, Hughie, on one of the special trains that left London Road station at about 12pm. The whole station was taken over by United supporters. There were special trains leaving at five-minute intervals. Each had a colour – ours was purple, I think.

It was the first time I’d been to Wembley and we got in early. We were just above the tunnel. One of the things still imprinted on my memory 40 years on is United’s first goal scored at the United end. The ball came across and I can still see Bobby Charlton in his blue shirt rising above everybody to head it in.

The other thing I can still see is that heart-stopping moment towards the end of normal time when, at 1-1, Eusebio was through with only Stepney to beat. It looked as though he had to score but he blasted it straight at Stepney, who’d come out to the edge of the box. That was a real turning point.

Extra-time was all a bit of a blur with the three goals coming in such a short time; then the final whistle, Bobby Charlton and Matt Busby running straight towards each other, and Charlton holding that huge Cup aloft in front of the Royal Box.

After the match we had to queue for ages at Wembley Central, but nobody cared. We got back about 5am and the newspaper sellers were all there with the first editions. I bought every paper I could and read the match reports on the bus back to Newall Green where I lived.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
rondwisan

1967/1968 European Champions Clubs Cup Winners
Manager: Matt Busby

Round Date H/A Opponents W L D Score Scorers
1st (1st Leg) 20 Sept H Hibernians W 4-0 Law x2, Sadler x2
1st (2nd Leg) 27 Sept A Hibernians D 0-0 -----------------
Manchester United Win 4-0 on Aggregate

2nd (1st Leg) 15 Nov A FK Sarajevo D 0-0 -----------
2nd (2nd Leg) 29 Nov H FK Sarajevo W 2-1 Best, Aston
Manchester United Win 2-1 on Aggregate

3rd (1st Leg) 28 Feb H Gornik Zabrze W 2-0 Kidd, O.G.
3rd (2nd Leg 13 Mar A Gornik Zabrze L 0-1 --------
Manchester United Win 2-1 on Aggregate

Semi-Final (1st Leg) 24 Apr H Real Madrid CF W 1-0 Best
Semi-Final (2nd Leg) 15 May A Real Madrid CF D 3-3 Sadler, Foulkes, O.G.
Manchester United Win 4-3 on Aggregate

Final 29 May Wembley SL Benfica W 4-1 Charlton x2, Best, Kidd
Old 04-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
rondwisan

Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
rondwisan

Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #7
rondwisan

"Busby ends his quest for the Holy Grail"
manutdzone.com

It took 12 years from 1956-1968 for Matt Busby to finally capture the "Holy Grail" of the European Champions Cup. Had the Busby Babes not been destroyed at Munich the wait would surely have been a lot shorter. However the great team of 1968 featuring the mighty talents of Charlton, Law and Best would end that wait on a glorious summer night at Wembley.

The game had an added significance as United had not won the championship that year and the team was getting on in years. This was seen by many as Busby's last chance to fulfil his ambition. Sadly, United's star striker Denis Law was unable to play because of a knee injury and his absence left many a Red worried how their team would cope. For back then, the great Benfica of Lisbon were a team as feared as Barcelona, AC Milan or Real Madrid are today and possessed a forward who is now one of the all-time footballing legends: Eusebio.

Throughout the British Isles there was great support for United from neutral and even rival fans. It was a time when jealousy and bitterness were not evident in football, compared to today. An estimated 250 million TV viewers watched worldwide while it was the biggest television audience since the 1966 World Cup final two years before.

100,000 fans packed Wembley on a searingly hot and humid May Night. As both United and Benfica wore red as a first choice kit, on the night United played in an all blue away kit. Busby played United in a 4-3-3 formation: Best, Kidd and Aston up front, Charlton, Sadler and Crerand in midfield and Foulkes, Brennan, Dunne and Stiles at the back.

Benfica's main plan was to close down George Best, who had destroyed them with a hat-trick two years earlier in Lisbon. However by concentrating on him they left Bobby Charlton with a free reign. Nobby Stiles' role was to man-mark Eusebio, a role he did with great effectiveness.

After an uninspiring, scrappy, goal-less 1st half, United took the lead eight minutes after the restart with a goal produced with the combined efforts of Sadler, Dunne and Charlton. After receiving a cross from Sadler and unmarked in the box, Charlton rose majestically to deftly send a looping header goalward. Keeper Henrique was stranded as the ball entered the bottom left corner of the net.

United then took the initiative with Aston and Best putting Benfica on the backfoot. With just 10 minutes left however, Busby's team was tired and ragged. Benfica applied late pressure and it paid off as Torres headed into the box to find the feet of Graca who lashed the ball into the United net. In a dramatic ending United nearly lost the game when the great Eusebio broke away free from Stiles, with only the keeper Alex Stepney to beat.

Stepney speculated that Eusebio would want to blast his shot gloriously into the net and refused to go to ground. Eusebio did just as expected and Stepney saved as the ball went straight into his chest. Eusebio turned and patted the much relieved keeper on the shoulder as an acknowledgement of the great save. It was a decisive turning point in the game, one which ultimately cost Benfica dearly.

The full time whistle went and Busby tried to rally his tired United troops. Two minutes into extra time saw United gain the lead again with a fantastic goal by George Best. A goal kick from Stepney bounced deep in Benfica territory. Best collected the ball, nutmegged and defender then and beat round Benfica keeper Henrique before slotting in it, as the defenders raced back. He later said he wanted to take the ball up to the line, stop, lie down and nod it over the line with his head but the defenders got back to quickly so he couldn't risk it!

Another minute and another goal. A United corner brought about a mini game of head tennis in the box with the ball moving pinball-like until Brian Kidd's looping header eluded Henrique and hit the back of the net. This goal, on his 19th Birthday was the best present he could ever have hoped for.

Then five minutes later United broke away with Kidd skipping past a Benfica defender on the wing and driving the ball low across the box. It fell to the master Bobby Charlton for the final flourish and he connected sublimely from a difficult angle to flick the ball home and hammer home the fact Manchester United had triumphed with an emphatic 4-1 victory.

The game was one of the most emotional nights of British Football and no doubt the survivors of the Munich disaster were thinking of those who were denied the chance to revel in such a glorious victory. On the night Busby said "They've done us proud. They came back with all their hearts to show everyone what Manchester United are made of. This is the most wonderful thing that has happened in my life and I am the proudest man in England tonight."

Captain Bobby Charlton lifted the cup and the whole of Britain celebrated as United became the first English club to win the European Cup. Matt Busby had finally achieved his lifetime's ambition and would become "Sir Matt" a few months later. Manchester United were the kings of Europe at last.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
rondwisan

1968: Manchester Utd win European Cup
BBC.co.uk

Manchester United have become the first English club to win the European Cup beating Portuguese side Benfica by four goals to one.

Ten years after the Munich air crash, which killed eight of Matt Busby's young team, Manchester United have reached the pinnacle of European football.

Celtic became the first Scottish and British club to win the cup the previous year.

United's star player, George Best, was named European Footballer of the Year - just a fortnight after being named the football writers' Footballer of the Year.

Massive crowd

Tonight's match at Wembley was watched by a crowd of 100,000 and an estimated 250 million TV viewers. It was the biggest television audience since the World Cup final two years before.

As both teams wear red kit, United opted to play in their blue away strip for the game.

The first half passed in a flurry of fouls before Bobby Charlton headed the opening goal in the second half to make it 1-0.

With only 10 minutes left to go, Benfica scored the equaliser - and very nearly won the match when their feared striker Eusebio broke away from Nobby Stiles, the player tasked with marking him, and blasted the ball towards the net.

But it was saved by keeper Alex Stepney and the game went into extra time.

Winning goal

Two minutes into extra time Best put United ahead again, slipping round the keeper and gently tapping it over the line.

It was followed by two more United goals, from 19-year-old Brian Kidd and captain Bobby Charlton, taking the final score to 4-1.

Manager Matt Busby said: "They've done us proud. They came back with all their hearts to show everyone what Manchester United are made of. This is the most wonderful thing that has happened in my life and I am the proudest man in England tonight."

Busby was seriously injured in the crash which claimed the lives of his so-called Busby Babes and there was speculation at the time that the club had been so badly damaged it would have to fold.

But they struggled on to complete the 1958/59 season and when Busby returned to the manager's role the following season he began the task of rebuilding the side.

The club won the league in 1965 and 1967, but today's win marks the pinnacle of the club's achievements.

Charlton and Bill Foulkes were the only survivors of the crash who played in today's final.

Quote:
In Context
The European Cup marked the highlight of Matt Busby's long career at Manchester United and he later received a knighthood. He retired after the following season to become the club's general manager.

For George Best it was the highlight of his footballing career. The same year he was also named European Footballer of the Year.

He was regarded by many as one of the greatest footballing talents in the world, ranked alongside the Brazilian great Pele.

He was the first footballer to gain superstar status - but his fame led him into a life of womanising and alcohol.

By 1972 he had announced his retirement from the game - he returned to United a year later but by early 1974 he had left for good.

In 2002 he had a liver transplant. He died in November 2005.

Bobby Charlton had a distinguished playing career for England and Manchester United. He scored 48 goals for England, a record which still stands. He was knighted in 1994.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM   #9
Ucup Carrick
captain
Rock n' Roll All Day and All
Of The Night

Thanked 1,304 Times in 618 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Ucup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of lightUcup Carrick is a glorious beacon of light

itu kapten benfica setahu gua bukan eusebio deh...
lupa gua namanya...
wikipedianya salah...

pas liat video youtube-nya..emang momen 68 sangat istimewa...dan meriah...suporter gak cuma ngibarin bendera klub..tapi juga union jack...
bener-bener kebanggaan nasional saat itu...
Ucup Carrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
rondwisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucup Carrick View Post
itu kapten benfica setahu gua bukan eusebio deh...
lupa gua namanya...
wikipedianya salah...

pas liat video youtube-nya..emang momen 68 sangat istimewa...dan meriah...suporter gak cuma ngibarin bendera klub..tapi juga union jack...
bener-bener kebanggaan nasional saat itu...
thanks koreksinya Mas Ucup ...
should be Coluna yaa ...

1968 European Cup Final (London)
Manchester United 4 Benfica 1

Manchester United: Stepney, Brennan, Foulkes, Crerand, Dunne, Charlton (capt), Stiles, Best, Kidd, Sadler, Aston
Scorers: Charlton 2, Best, Kidd

Benfica: Henrique, Adolfo, Humberto, Jacinto, Cruz, Graca, Coluna (capt), Jose Augusto, Torres, Eusebio, Simoes
Scorer: Graca

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 1
Emank_1412