United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #6
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: [Legend] Denis Law

Scotland ace Denis Law tips Huddersfield Town striker Jordan Rhodes to be a hit on the international stage
by Mel Booth, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

Jordan Rhodes celebrates after scoring for Scotland U-21's against Austria

JORDAN RHODES was today tipped to become a successful Scotland sharp-shooter by the greatest of them all – Denis Law.

Now 71, Law was the last Town player to win a full Scotland cap and the 21-year-old Rhodes is almost certain to follow suit a week tomorrow in Cyprus.

Manchester United legend Law – who bagged 30 Scotland goals in 55 appearances – has been following the fortunes of Town’s current hot-shot and believes he’s exactly what the national side need right now.

“I’m delighted Jordan is getting his chance because he’s a goalscorer and all international sides need them,” said Law, who found out about his own first call-up in 1958 from the Examiner newspaper seller in St George’s Square!

“His scoring record is excellent, he has done really well for the Under 21s and I’m surprised he hasn’t been mentioned much before for the senior squad.

“He will definitely play in Cyprus, I’ve no doubt about that, and it will be really interesting to see how he goes on because I’m sure he’ll perform extremely well at that level.”

Law still keeps tabs on Town, the club he made his debut for under Bill Shankly in 1956, and as one of the game’s all-time greatest frontmen he has noted Rhodes’ progress since he signed from Ipswich.

“Getting my first call-up and cap for Scotland is the greatest honour I am ever going to have, I’ll remember it for the rest of my life, and I’m sure Jordan is feeling exactly the same at this moment,” said Law.

“It’s obviously a step up from the league and the Under 21s, but Jordan has made those steps before and he’s been selected to represent his country on what he’s done for Huddersfield Town.

“If he didn’t have the ability he wouldn’t have been picked and everyone is after people who can score goals. Jordan has proved he can find the net and all he needs to do next week is exactly what he’s been doing up to this point.

“His experience with the Under 21s will help him and he’s done terrifically well. When I got called up to play against Wales I was only 18 and most of the Scotland team were household names and I didn’t know any of them personally.

“Jordan will know some of the current guys already and the manager, and I’m sure he’ll take to it straight away, because he’s playing really well and his scoring record is very, very good.”

Son of an Aberdeen fisherman and the only Scottish player ever to be voted European Footballer of the Year (1964), Law scored on his international debut against Wales on October 18, 1958. He hadn’t been selected for the World Cup that year, but went on to firmly establish himself and played in the World Cup 16 years later.

“I was told I’d been selected by the guy who used to sell the Examiner in St George’s Square!” he explained.

“We had been training one morning and I was walking up town to get my paper in the afternoon and he just said ‘hey, Denis, you’ve been selected to play for your country’.

“Nobody had telephones in those days and the Scottish FA just used to notify your club, so that’s how I found out, but it was a great feeling and it’s lovely that Huddersfield have got someone in the senior side again.

“It was Sir Matt Busby who picked me. He was manager of Scotland as well as Manchester United and he had just recovered after the Munich air crash. the fact he selected me to play in the game was the greatest honour I ever had in my life.”

Law, who had two spells with Manchester City and a stint in Italy with Torino, is best known for his 11 years with Manchester United, where he scored 237 goals in 409 appearances.

But he has never lost touch with Town, meeting up with old playing colleagues on a regular basis until the last couple of years and always checking on results.

“I always look to see how they have gone on and it’s great to see Town doing so well at the moment,” he added. “Hopefully they are going to have some very good years ahead.”

Source : http://www.examiner.co.uk
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 19
alfiandrmwn, Andi Istiabudi, Blacklist7, bucay deathbat, Deddy Hernandez, egata, fajrinited, Gustar_UIBontang, icalace, NdeGue, penk22_, rio vander vidic, Ryan_lallo, sepatu_ancur, UNITED1878, vankyoet, wira_ozora, zudomiriku