United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 26-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
iamsetia
first team
Setia Karpet Bireun

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
iamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to alliamsetia is a name known to all
Visit iamsetia's Twitter
Default Re: Denis Irwin

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Manchester United legend Irwin on Keane, signing for United and the Cup Winners’ Cup

In part I of our exclusive interview with Manchester United legend Denis Irwin, we discuss his time at United, the reasons behind him signing for the club and who he got along best with.

Whenever fans and pundits reflect on their best ever Manchester United XI, your name always gets a mention. How does it feel to be arguably the best ever player in your position to play for the club?

Tony Dunne was a fantastic player back in the 1960s and Arthur Albiston was brilliant too, he was here for a long time. Patrice Evra has been great in the last 7 or 8 years since arriving. I was fortunate in that I spent 12 years here during which the club was so successful. I played in a great team so it’s just good to be remembered.

Which team did you grow up supporting?

I was a Wolves fan when I was younger. I grew up in Cork in the early 1970s so I wanted to be a Cork hurling player like everyone else but I supported Wolves.

How did it come about that United signed you from Oldham? What was it like the first team you met Fergie?

I’d had 4 great years at Oldham but I’d let my contract run down. United had beaten us in an FA Cup semi-final and I was looking to move. As soon as United came calling I jumped at the opportunity. I met the manager at Old Trafford and he brought me onto the field, explained his vision for the club and I knew I wanted to be part of that. There was no guarantee that trophies would come but United had signed Steve Bruce, Paul Ince, Danny Wallace and Brian McClair in the previous couple of seasons. Growing up in Ireland I knew just how big Manchester United were and was delighted to get to the very top.

What’s your personal favourite memory of your time at United?

The first year I was here when we won the Cup Winners’ Cup in 1991. It was the first time English teams were allowed back into Europe after the ban and we were playing a very good Barcelona side in Rotterdam. We were the underdogs on the night and Barcelona went on to win the European Cup the next year. They had Laudrup, Koeman and Ferrer in the team. It was a truly great night.

Who was the best player you played with?

Eric Cantona was special. We’d come so close to the title the year before he signed and he was the difference in 1992/93. I played with Roy Keane for a long time with United and Ireland and he was as good as anybody. Scholes was a fantastic footballer, and Giggs was brilliant in front of me on the left.

What was your relationship like with Roy Keane?

We’re from the same city and we’re fine. He’s younger than me and I didn’t know him when I was growing up but I was delighted when he joined the club.

Which player did you get on best with?

I was good friends with Paul Parker until he left but most of my friends were away from the game.

You went to Wolves with Paul Ince. What was your relationship with him like?

Very good. He was a fantastic player and played for some great teams. We got promoted in my first season at Wolves and I think they just needed a bit of experience, which is why Dave Jones signed us.

——
Interview in association with bwin

Code:
http://www.byfarthegreatestteam.com/posts/exclusive-interview-manchester-united-legend-irwin-on-keane-signing-for-united-and-the-cup-winners-cup/

Last edited by iamsetia; 04-06-2013 at 05:34 PM..
iamsetia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
troy andreas
min tolong ket sekum diremove.

Thanked 1,947 Times in 1,102 Posts
Mentioned: 273 Post(s)
troy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant futuretroy andreas has a brilliant future

Visit troy andreas's Twitter

Menariknya Irwin gak menyertakan namanya di starting eleven

My United XI: Denis Irwin

A veteran of some of Manchester United's most trophy-laden sides, Denis Irwin has plenty of quality to pick from when choosing his Reds' dream team.

Our My United XI rules require legends to pick 11 starters and five subs, all players they played with except one wildcard entry from any era.

The Team I had big problems at left-back since I spent so long there myself, but big Jaap Stam would be good enough to switch and make it a very solid defence. The midfield speaks for itself, and up front I’d have Eric as the focal point, holding up the ball and letting Ronaldo, Giggs and the midfielders pour forward.

Formation 4-3-3

GK: Peter Schmeichel Best keeper I played with by a mile. Such an unbelievable presence on the pitch.

RB: Gary Neville A very committed defender, great reader of the game and strong in the tackle.

CB: Steve Bruce Strong as an ox, brave as a lion; how England never capped him is a mystery.

CB: Gary Pallister Great alongside Brucey; simply a quality defender with pace and intelligence.

LB: Jaap Stam Out of position here, but Jaap had terrific pace and was a superb man-marker.

MF: Bryan Robson Terrific leader, a box-to-box player who was tough as nails and provided plenty of goals.

MF: Roy Keane (c) Like Robbo, a phenomenal leader who got all over the place. Very clever too.

MF: Paul Scholes Adds some craft alongside Robbo and Roy – a magician with a football.

F: Cristiano Ronaldo (wildcard) Lightning quick, strong, clever and a really dangerous source of goals. Great player.

F: Eric Cantona The catalyst for our success. A phenomenal footballer and an amazing presence.

F: Ryan Giggs Top player. I played with him for 12 years – his skill and work-rate are unbelievable.

The Bench Had I gone for a 4-4-2, I’d have started Andy Cole, but he just missed out in this formation. Alongside him, I’d have Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Dwight Yorke and Teddy Sheringham… lots of attacking options. For defensive cover I’d have Paul Parker and Phil Neville could play defence or midfield. Last up, Becks – he only missed out because I chose Ronaldo over Vidic as my wildcard.

HTML Code:
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Features/2013/Jun/denis-irwin-my-united-xi-united-uncovered.aspx?pageNo=1

"setial masa ada orangnya, setiap orang ada masanya."
troy andreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Sir Alex Ferguson got it wrong about world-class players, says former Manchester United defender Denis Irwin

* Former Manchester United defender Denis Irwin believes his old manager Sir Alex Ferguson was wrong about which players were world-class
* Ferguson said that only Cristiano Ronaldo, Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes and Eric Cantona merited the title at United
* Irwin believes that Roy Keane, Peter Schmeichel and Bryan Robson were all worthy of similar acclaim
* The Irishman also suggested that Cantona was slightly overrated

Treble-winning legend Denis Irwin has argued that former manager Sir Alex Ferguson got it wrong when naming the world-class players he had at Manchester United.

Irwin is convinced his skipper Roy Keane should have been included in Fergie's list – and that Eric Cantona was fortunate to be included.

Ferguson created a stir recently when publicising his latest book 'Leading' by saying Ryan Giggs, Cantona, Paul Scholes and Cristiano Ronaldo were the only four world-class players he had during his 27 years at Old Trafford.

Denis Irwin (right) celebrates scoring in the Champions League against Feyenoord in 1997

But Irwin, part of the 1999 team that won the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League, disagrees.

'I played with Roy Keane and he was world-class,' said Irwin, who also played alongside the midfielder for the Republic of Ireland.

'Of the other players in my era, I'd start with our goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel as world class. Scholesy and Giggsy too, and I would say Bryan Robson.

'I am not sure you could say Eric was world-class. He was the catalyst for that early success of the team but he didn't do it for France on the international stage and whether he did it for Manchester United in the Champions League is open to debate.'

Irwin was addressing corporate guests at Old Trafford before last week's Champions League match against Wolfsburg when he made his comments.

His verdict adds weight to cynics who think Ferguson was settling old scores in his list. Player like Keane and Wayne Rooney who fell out with him were not included though the former United has pointed out that he only considered creative game-changers to be world-beaters.

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3259070/Sir-Alex-Ferguson-got-wrong-world-class-players-says-former-Manchester-United-defender-Denis-Irwin.html
Old 05-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Jadi inget pernah nunggu di depan pintu lift bareng Denis Irwin, jadinya saya dan Irwin saling memperhatikan satu sama lain saking lamanya, hahahaha...
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

IRWIN EXCITED BY BARCELONA LEGENDS CLASH

Former Manchester United star Denis Irwin is eagerly awaiting Barcelona's visit to Old Trafford on 2 September in a top-class Legends match.

The likes of Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Patrick Kluivert and Edgar Davids are expected to be part of the Catalan giants' squad in the second leg of the charity contest, with United firstly heading to the Nou Camp on 30 June.

Irwin spoke to MUTV in advance of the big games and shared his memories of facing Barcelona over the years when asked to recall taking on the Blaugrana.

"I'm glad you asked me for my fondest memories because they beat us 4-0 in 1994 and it could have been a lot more!" he said.

"We’ll move on from that. In 1999, we played against them in the league format of the Champions League and drew 3-3 over there. We scored a great goal, the link-up between Yorkey and Coley, and it was a great result for us. It was a really tough group with Bayern Munich in it as well and only one team was guaranteed to qualify but we scraped in as one of the best runners-up, ourselves and Real Madrid.

"I went back to Barcelona almost 10 years later, when Scholesy scored the winner here after we drew 0-0 there [in the 2008 Champions League semi-finals]. That was a fine result.

"We’ve since been on the wrong end of a couple of final defeats to Barcelona but they are a huge club with a huge history, very similar to ourselves, so I’ve got some great memories of playing against them."

Irwin was also part of the team that overcome Johan Cruyff's Barcelona in the European Cup-Winners' Cup final in 1991.

"We had 70 per cent of the fans in Rotterdam and it was a typical Manchester night," he said. "We were very much the underdogs but Mark Hughes scored two goals and we won 2-1. Ronald Koeman scored for them. They won the old European Cup the following year, beating Sampdoria at Wembley, and had a great side – Stoichkov, Laudrup, Busquets’ dad in goal and Goikoetxea played. They were a really tough side and we were very much underdogs but it was my first medal and a great one to start off on."

www.manutd.com
Old 03-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
Andi Istiabudi
manager

IRWIN SWITCHES ON OLD TRAFFORD LIGHTS

The club has kicked off Christmas, with the help of local primary school pupils through a partnership with Manchester United Foundation.

Year Six pupils from St. Alphonsus RC Primary School were invited to turn on the giant Christmas tree lights outside the Theatre of Dreams, after a winning nomination for their hard work and excellence throughout the year.

The schoolchildren from Trafford, who are taking part in the Premier League’s Primary Stars programme, delivered by the Foundation, were joined by club ambassador Denis Irwin as they lit up Old Trafford ahead of the festive season.

The Manchester United Foundation Youth Choir were also in attendance performing Christmas Carols by the impressive 50-foot tree outside the stadium, to get the guests in the festive spirit.

Ashlie, Hamza, Lyndon and Kameeko from St Alphonsus Primary School were the stars of the show, as they took to the stage to recite a special poem which they had written for the evening with the theme of teamwork.

Lyndon, deputy head boy at St. Alphonsus, said: “The Manchester United team tries hard in everything they do and they always try hard to encourage each other and show teamwork in lots of ways, so we wanted to put this into a poem.”

Manchester United legend Irwin was delighted to be a part of the special event. “It’s great to kick off Christmas but, more importantly, it’s great to see the Foundation children here,” he said.

“We’re not all as fortunate in this world but the Foundation does some amazing work so, however, we can help, throughout the year and especially at Christmas, by encouraging children through football is great.”

Club officials and staff also joined the celebrations, which have become a tradition throughout recent years, marking the start of the festive season at Old Trafford.

www.manutd.com
Old 02-03-2018, 12:54 PM   #17
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Denis Irwin believes Manchester United have attacking firepower to end the season on a high

* Manchester United are fighting for second place in the Premier League
* Jose Mourinho's side are still competing for silverware in Europe and FA Cup
* Denis Irwin believes wealth of attacking options can give them an edge

Denis Irwin believes Manchester United's attacking options can give Jose Mourinho's men the edge as they look for second place and silverware.

Pep Guardiola's swashbuckling Manchester City have all but wrapped up the Premier League crown already, given their remarkable double-digit lead as we enter March.

Mourinho has conceded the title is beyond United but boosted hopes of finishing runners-up - their highest position since Sir Alex Ferguson retired in 2013 - by overcoming reigning champions Chelsea on Sunday.

FA Cup and Champions League dreams also remain alive for a side that United great Irwin believes are heading in the right direction, especially given Alexis Sanchez's January arrival and Romelu Lukaku's form.

'I think from here on in now, games do have a habit of tightening up,' the former United defender said.

Irwin believes Manchester United have the attacking firepower to ensure finishing second. Jose Mourinho's side are still competing for silverware in the Champions League and FA Cup

'So, there's going to be a lot of close games and hopefully we keep doing defensively what we've been doing, and we've got enough going forwards now with Alexis coming in and Lukaku banging the goals in.

'Jesse (Lingard) has come in with a lot more this year, so there's good avenues there.

'We just need to keep going because as I said at this stage of the season it starts to tighten up a bit now we're coming to the money end of it.

'Obviously we got a huge win against Chelsea on Sunday, but there's a huge battle I think for the top-four.'

United may have been overtaken in second by the time they line-up at Crystal Palace on Monday.

It is their only away match of a potentially season-defining month, with top-four rivals Liverpool arriving in the Premier League before the Champions League last-16 return leg against Sevilla and an FA Cup quarter-final at home to Brighton

'It's a big month,' Irwin said, speaking at the re-opening of the Red Cafe, supported by United's official club coffee partner Melitta.

'It's a big month coming up with Seville and Brighton at home. We've just had Chelsea at home and got Liverpool at home as well.

'I think you've got to accept that City have got a very, very healthy lead and besides them having a huge, huge slip up, they're going to win the league.

'So, it's a battle to finish as high as possible. We're in second place at the moment -and we seemed to be forever in sixth last year so that's a huge improvement.

'Liverpool are a form team, Spurs are a form team, so it's going to be very tight and very close, so we've just got to keep going to the end and hopefully finish as high as possible.

'The FA Cup quarter-final against Brighton will be difficult but you want your matches at home.

'In the Champions League, I think any one of 10 teams can win it and I'd include us in that because I think the manager knows how to win. You saw that in the Europa League last season.

'His history will tell you he knows how to win in Europe as well, so that will count for us.

'So, we're in a very good position with an awful lot to play for in the last two-and-a-half months of the season.'

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5452393/Man-United-attacking-firepower-end-season-high-Irwin.html
Old 11-04-2018, 12:55 AM   #18
Andi Istiabudi
manager

MORE POINTS, WINS & GOALS THAN LAST SEASON

Saturday’s comeback at the Etihad Stadium means Manchester United now have more Premier League points this season - with six games to spare - than at the close of 2016/17.

The Reds currently have 71 points on the board and that is two more than the last campaign, when the team finished down in sixth place. It is also the highest tally in the post-Sir Alex Ferguson era.

Jose Mourinho’s men are currently second in the table with 18 points left to play for, which means the possible end total could be 89 and no United side has achieved that number since 2012/13.

With an Emirates FA Cup semi-final to come against Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley, there is still an opportunity for the club to lift a trophy this season and underline what has ultimately been a season of progress.

Of course, exiting the UEFA Champions League at the last-16 stage was disappointing and this club must never settle for second place in the league, but the bigger picture of transition remains in full view.

United ambassador Denis Irwin appeared on The Paddy Crerand Show on Monday night and he was keen to highlight United’s achievements, which exceed those of our much-praised rivals in the press.

“It feels like it has not been a great season because City have been outstanding in the league,” said the Irishman. “But when you look at the praise that Liverpool and Spurs have been getting... they are both four points behind us! We've got an FA Cup semi-final to come, but it feels like we haven't done that well and yet we have.

"We have improved drastically from last season. I think the signings have been fantastic. If you look at our best players this season, Matic and Lukaku are definitely in there and we will see the best of Sanchez next season. So, I think we are heading in the right direction."

The 3-2 win at the Etihad Stadium also means United have now beaten all 19 clubs in the Premier League this season and all of the top six. That marks definite progress on the last campaign when the Reds only earned 10 points from matches against Chelsea, Tottenham, Liverpool, City and Arsenal.

“The trouble is that, here at United, we have set a standard for winning championship,” said two-time league winner Crerand on MUTV. “Some people are disappointed to be second. I feel a bit disappointed because when you look at the results we have had, beating Chelsea, Liverpool and City in recent weeks, but we are still second. In any other season we might be ahead at the top.”

www.manutd.com
Old 01-11-2018, 09:22 AM   #19
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Old 19-12-2018, 02:14 AM   #20
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Artikelnya dibuat sebelum Mou resmi dipecat nih

REDS AND PSG REACT TO CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW

Denis Irwin believes Jose Mourinho's formidable experience and achievements in Europe can stand Manchester United in good stead in our Champions League last-16 tie against Paris St-Germain.

The Reds will face the French giants for the first time in a competitive game when the tournament enters the knockout stage in the new year.

Mourinho has won four major European honours as a manager to date – the UEFA Cup and Champions League with FC Porto in 2003 and 2004 respectively, the Champions League with Inter Milan in 2010, and the Europa League with United in 2017.

Irwin, who won the Champions League as a Reds star in 1999, feels the manager’s know-how could be crucial to United’s chances of progressing and he’ll ensure his men will be ready to take on PSG.

“We will be really looking forward to the Paris game,” the former defender told Sky Sports at Monday's draw in Nyon, where he was among the club representatives.

“We are still a tough side to beat, we really are. We have got a manager who has got great experience in winning this competition and great experience of winning trophies so hopefully that will count for us.

“Come Paris we will be ready. He [Jose] has got a great record wherever he has been. He has got great experience in winning trophies. We won the Europa League two seasons ago under Mourinho. No matter who plays us, they are in for a difficult time and we are really looking forward to it.”

The Reds will welcome Thomas Tuchel's team to Old Trafford in the first leg on Tuesday 12 February 2019, before travelling to the Parc des Princes for the second leg on Wednesday 6 March 2019.

PSG, who have been domestic champions in five of the last six seasons, were the leading scorers in the Champions League group stage with 17 goals and currently sit top of France's top flight, Ligue 1.

While those figures would make the French team favourites to progress, Irwin has a positive mindset and feels there is plenty of time for the Reds to rediscover some winning form before the tie, in a bid to avoid a repeat of last season’s last-16 exit at the hands of Sevilla.

“There are still two months to go. Listen, they [PSG] will be well on top of their league, we have already seen that,” Irwin added, in an interview with UEFA.com. “They have plenty of attacking talent going forward – Neymar, [Kylian] Mbappe, [Edinson] Cavani and [Angel] Di Maria, who was at our club for a year or so.

“We will hopefully pick up some form before that. It’s a good game and we are looking forward to it. We have good experience, but we went out at the Round of 16 last season and we don't want to do that again.

“The last month or so has been sticky for us but the PSG tie is two months away and there are a lot of matches to be played before then. We can concentrate on the Premier League now and the FA Cup starts up in January, but come February we'll be looking forward to it [the Champions League].

Irwin went on: “Without a doubt, winning at Juventus is our result of the season so far. We went to Bern and won away [against Young Boys] as well. Juventus and Valencia didn't do that. It was quite a tricky group, so we did well to get out of there. There were no easy ties in there.
“There are some cracking fixtures [in the last 16] to look forward to, none more so than ours. We are really looking forward to it.”

PSG HAVE 'THE GREATEST RESPECT' FOR UNITED

The draw was well received by our French opponents, who are looking forward to a historic first-ever competitive clash with United.

PSG owner Nasser Al-Khelaïfi said: “For the first time in history, our club will face Manchester United and this last-16 tie promises two great Champions League nights, against a prestigious opponent for which we have the greatest respect.

“Our fans will experience magical moments, both in Manchester and at the Parc des Princes. As I always say, we need to be ready to play against all and any team, and we will be ready.”

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 22
Andi Istiabudi, Deddy Hernandez, dyan_giggs, fajrinited, iamsetia, irwin3, Juni HW, LAM ILHAM, Oom Panda, paiman, penk22_, RedAdeLvil, rikki, rio vander vidic, risalsupri, Riskur, saksono, sepatu_ancur, UdyMUFC, UNITED1878, zudomiriku