United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United History

Old 22-10-2011, 04:56 AM   #11
Ridwanox
academy
-

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Ridwanox has no contributions yet
Default Re: Cantona: The Catalyst

semoga di Indonesia bisa lahir cantona cantona muda
Ridwanox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
rondwisan
udah sebelas yaa :)

Thanked 4,736 Times in 2,701 Posts
Mentioned: 567 Post(s)
rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute
Visit rondwisan's Facebook Visit rondwisan's Twitter

And the story began ....

Quote:
"Normally, I wouldn't have expected*Martin Edwards*to ring back. This time he did ring, about an hour later, offering me a different player I knew Howard would not be interested in."

- Bill Fotherby, former chairman of Leeds United

26/11/2012 - ManUtd.com, Adam Marshall
How Leeds sold Cantona

Former Leeds United chairman Bill Fotherby has recalled the day when the then-champions sanctioned the controversial sale of Eric Cantona to fierce rivals Manchester United.

The Frenchman moved across the Pennines 20 years ago after*Howard Wilkinson lined up a bid for Denis Irwin, with the phone call between the two clubs becoming the stuff of legend.

Shedding more light on that fateful conversation, Fotherby revealed to PA Sport that another player was offered to Leeds before the deal to send Cantona to Old Trafford was struck.

"I remember that phone call clearly, as though it was yesterday," said*Fotherby, who was managing director at the time.

"We had initially signed Eric on a recommendation from Michel Platini, who told Howard Wilkinson he had to look at the boy. Platini said he could be very difficult to handle but that he had the potential to be a great player.

"My job was to go and see the player and talk to his agent. Then Howard spoke to him and we tried to convince him Leeds United were the club to come to.

"We agreed to pay him something like £500,000 if we kept him after the initial period of six months. It was an immense amount of money for Leeds but we agreed to it because we had this recommendation from Platini and we judged the most important thing was to get the player. We wanted to do whatever it took and deal with the rest afterwards. But there were difficulties almost immediately.

"Apart from Lee Chapman, no-one in the squad spoke fluent French and, for Howard, it was a bit of a nightmare. Although we had won the title, there was just no connection between the two and, in the end, he told me to try and find Eric another club.

"We had a disaster against Rangers in the European Cup. Eric was poor and we were coming up to the point where this additional £500,000 had to be paid.

"At the same time, our right-back Mel Sterland got an injury that was going to keep him out for a bit, so Howard told me to ring Martin Edwards and ask whether Alex [Ferguson] would sell us Denis Irwin, who had been at Leeds as a young boy. Martin said there was no chance but I asked him to at least speak to Sir Alex, which he said he would do.

"Normally, I wouldn't have expected him to ring back. This time he did ring about an hour later, offering me a different player I knew Howard would not be interested in.

"It was then he asked about Eric. I said absolutely no way and that it was impossible. But obviously I knew what Howard felt about him, and I knew this additional payment was due. As I had done before, Martin asked me if I would talk to Howard.

"On that particular day, Howard was out house hunting in Leeds. The only person I actually spoke to was [assistant manager] Mick Hennigan. I just said 'I can't believe it. Guess what has come right out of the blue? Howard will absolutely love it."

"I left it a couple of hours, rang Martin back and said 'I can't believe this but Howard is willing to let the boy go'. The only stipulation was that it had to be done by midnight that night so Manchester United needed to get in touch with Eric's agent pretty damn quickly."

The Reds managed to get the transfer completed of course and Fotherby admits it was*a fabulous piece of business from Sir Alex.

"There is no other assessment you can make other than Eric was absolutely magnificent for them," he conceded. "But we got something similar when we got Gordon Strachan from them. He took us from Division Two to champions. Before that, Jonny Giles came from Manchester United and look what he did for Leeds. It happens. Sometimes people just move to a certain club at a certain time and become something they would never have been anywhere else. The fact it was Manchester United gave it an edge I suppose but they were the ones who made the offer.

"Howard Wilkinson was an absolute perfectionist. He wanted his players to be disciplined and adhere to a certain team pattern. Eric just didn't fit it. Alex Ferguson gave him a free role and probably wasn't quite as strict with Eric as Howard would have been. Eric liked to play to the crowd. That wasn't Howard's way at all. It is wonderful to have someone like that in your team, who can produce that little bit of magic, but not if it came at the expense of the team.

"If the situation came round again, I would do exactly the same thing. When Howard said find a club for him, I did it."

Last edited by rondwisan; 26-11-2014 at 06:39 PM..
rondwisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 07:13 PM   #13
rondwisan

rondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond reputerondwisan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"Eric came here and changed football. He changed the mentality and changed the way of everything."

- Peter Schmeichel

28/11/2012 - ManUtd.com, Adam Marshall
Eric 'changed football'

Peter Schmeichel believes Eric Cantona's arrival from Leeds United "changed football".

The legendary goalkeeper played with the Frenchman and was between the posts when the Reds won the Double in both 1994 and 1996.

Cantona signed 20 years ago and helped transform the fortunes of a club seeking to recover past glories.

"I remember this day," Schmeichel told ManUtd.com. "It was a day that changed everything for us players as well. Eric came in and was someone Sir Alex knew was going to do really well here. His managing speaks volumes again in his ability to manage Eric really well. Eric had*many clubs before he came and finished his career here having had five years – four brilliant full years."

Cantona's winning mentality and work ethic was filtered down to the younger players attempting to break into the first-team squad.

"Eric came here and changed football," he added. "He changed the mentality and changed the way of everything. All the kids we’ve seen grow up with Manchester United from that period, they’ve really benefited from that and you could go and speak to David Beckham, Gary Neville and Paul Scholes about him. They will always point to him as he was the guy.

"That was something Sir Alex saw. No-one else saw it. Trevor Francis had the opportunity at Sheffield Wednesday and he didn’t even give him a chance. Howard Wilkinson took him in but was very, very happy to sell him because he was difficult. But Sir Alex was not like that. For him, he might have been a challenge but he took that challenge and the rest is history."
Old 26-11-2014, 07:28 PM   #14
rondwisan

Kalo ini, 'latar belakang' gitu deh ..., masa2 sebelum Cantona bergabung Opa Fergie

26/11/2012 - ManUtd.com, Adam Marshall
Nov '92 BC (Before Cantona)

In November, 1992, United sat in 10th place in the new Premier League. Still smarting from the late stumble that had allowed Leeds to snatch the title earlier in the year, Alex Ferguson’s side had begun the new domestic era with consecutive defeats - conceding the very first goal of the inaugural competition and then slipping to a 3-0 home reverse to Everton.

Things improved but a broken leg for Dion Dublin, a centre-forward who repaid a slice of his £1million fee from Cambridge with a late winner at Southampton, had compounded a growing problem in attack.

Ahead of the visit of Oldham Athletic, the Reds had won only one of the last 12 fixtures and that was when a Mark Hughes strike edged Brighton out of the Coca-Cola Cup 2-1 on aggregate, following a draw on the South Coast. The previous four matches had failed to yield a single goal and included three successive defeats, with Wimbledon’s triumph at the Theatre of Dreams coinciding with the “worst performance of the season” in the manager’s mind.

Aston Villa ended any hopes of a run in the Coca-Cola Cup and two successive bore draws with Torpedo Moscow led to a penalty shoot-out defeat in Europe. The natives were perhaps not quite restless but, having gone so tantalisingly close to glory only a matter of months earlier, the dream of ending what was now a 25-year-wait for the league title seemed as far away as ever.

On November 21, with Joe Royle’s Latics preparing for a local derby, United were in dire need of inspiration. Phil Shaw was moved to write in The Independent: “Oldham's visit to Old Trafford could prove a watershed for Manchester United and Alex Ferguson's managerial tenure. If the Stretford End were still standing, the message from the masses would be simple: 'Give us a goal'. United would probably settle for victory by any margin today to revive a campaign in danger of dying on its feet."

United did resuscitate the season, Brian McClair scoring twice in a 3-0 victory, but the manager remained unconvinced that he had the firepower needed to end the agonising wait for league glory. The following week, he got his man in a move that sent shockwaves reverberating around the football world.

Many had viewed Alan Shearer as the ideal striker signing for United but the Southampton youngster had instead joined ambitious Blackburn for a record £3.3million fee. The Geordie goal-grabber was long touted for a switch to Old Trafford and was already proving his class at his new club. As fate would have it, the England hitman would rupture his knee ligaments a month later but he’d bagged 12 goals in his first 11 games and it was always going to be a case of the one who got away.

“Shearer did not convince us he necessarily wanted to play for United,” chairman Martin Edwards explained at a shareholders meeting, and the club*was forced to look elsewhere. Sheffield Wednesday boss Trevor Francis had gone public about a £3.5million bid for David Hirst that had been flatly rejected. The Owls’ all-action centre-forward was tied to a four-year contract and the Yorkshire outfit were simply in no mood to do business.

Cynthia Bateman pondered in The Guardian that “money should have gone to buy a striker but you can’t get much for under £3million these days”. It seemed a fair point but, in the days before transfer windows, there was still hope. Who would answer United’s clarion call?

Darko Pancev was a poacher long admired by the boss, the Golden Boot winner a year earlier had been deadly in front of goal for Red Star Belgrade. Although his move to Inter Milan was clearly not working out, as he struggled to find a place in Osvaldo Bagnoli’s side, leaving the Serie A side a mere few months after signing for several million pounds did not appear a realistic option.

Ajax attacker Dennis Bergkamp was also mooted, even if he’d insisted he would remain in Holland for the duration of the season. One newspaper report noted his father and brother were United supporters and he apparently grew up with a poster of Denis Law on his bedroom wall. Even if there were sufficient funds available, two of the continent’s top striking talents appeared out of reach. With critics sniping that Mark Robins had been offloaded to Norwich prematurely, there was also speculation about a possible target fuelled by the manager revealing he would spend some time in Scotland.

Dundee United’s precocious target-man Duncan Ferguson was touted as the answer to the Reds’ attacking problems – even though, as a raw teenager, he was far from the finished article.

Young Scot Ferguson did share one attribute with the eventual signing – his fiery temper – but Eric Cantona was on a different level - a player to stir the senses of all United supporters. Here was not a man to merely solve any issue pertaining to a lack of goals. Here was a character big enough to transform the entire club’s fortunes, inspire all those around him and achieve legendary status at Old Trafford.
Old 28-11-2015, 08:44 AM   #15
santo_kemp
reserve player
Member Nonaktif

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
santo_kemp has a spectacular aura aboutsanto_kemp has a spectacular aura about
Visit santo_kemp's Facebook Visit santo_kemp's Twitter

pemain favorit ane sepanjang masa
santo_kemp is offline   Reply With Quote

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 20
aldysetiabudi, Awenk_UICT, Deddy Hernandez, dhodoadrian, fajrinited, Genk's007, Griff_Oliviery, jifortin, Muhammad Nizar, mYa United, penk22_, rio vander vidic, santo_kemp, sridaka17, tumpal_oneunited, wira_ozora, YogiKribo