United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Players

Old 27-09-2022, 09:38 AM   #21
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lisandro Martinez

Lisandro Martinez insists he 'doesn't CARE' about criticism of his height with the 5ft 9ins centre back winning over fans after a difficult start to the season... and the Argentine admits it's a 'dream come true' to represent Manchester United

* Lisandro Martinez has hit back at those who have criticised him for his height
* Some say the Argentine is not tall enough to be a Premier League centre back
* The 5ft 9ins Martinez cost Manchester United £55million from Ajax this summer
* And the 24-year-old admitted it is a dream come true to represent the Red Devils

Lisandro Martinez has hit back at critics of his height, insisting self-belief and hard work can compensate for his lack of stature.

Manchester United signed the 5ft 9ins centre back for £55million from Ajax this summer, with new manager Erik ten Hag desperate for the Argentine to fix their leaky defence.

And Martinez told TyC Sports he 'doesn't care' about his detractors - before admitting it is a 'dream come true' to represent the Red Devils in the Premier League.

Manchester United centre back Lisandro Martinez (right) has hit back at critics of his height. The 24-year-old was widely considered to have been 'bullied' by 6ft 2ins Brentford striker Ivan Toney as United were thrashed 4-0 against Brentford in their second league game

He said: 'I don't care about criticism. I believe in myself and I trust my abilities.

'I always worked hard. That's what will make me have the results I want.

'To be honest, it was a dream come true to play for a huge club like Manchester United, especially to play in the Premier League, which is one of the best leagues in the world. I am really happy.'

But 5ft 9ins defender Martinez has improved recently and the Red Devils' form has picked up. He was a £55million arrival from Ajax this summer, following boss Erik ten Hag to Old Trafford. amie Carragher is refusing to back down on his belief that Lisandro Martinez is too small

The 24-year-old struggled in his first two appearances in the English top-flight, and was widely considered to have been 'bullied' by target men Danny Welbeck (6ft 1in) and Ivan Toney (6ft 2ins) as United lost against Brighton and Brentford respectively.

But the eight-cap international, who played 90 minutes as Lionel Scaloni's side beat Honduras 3-0 on Saturday, was a dogged and composed playmaking presence at the back as United went on a four-match winning run, starting with Liverpool.

Pundit Jamie Carragher, a former Liverpool centre back, said earlier this month: 'I wouldn't want a centre-back who was 5ft 9ins in my team. I would not.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11249885/Man-United-5ft-9ins-defender-Lisandro-Martinez-says-doesnt-CARE-criticism-height.html
Old 21-10-2022, 10:20 AM   #22
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'When I heard the fans singing, I wanted to cry': Lisandro Martinez reveals he was close to TEARS after Man United's win over Tottenham - as defender says it's very 'emotional' hearing supporters sing "Argentina, Argentina" in his honour

* Lisandro Martinez was moved by the affection shown to him by Man United fans
* United recorded a third successive clean sheet for the first time in over a year
* He won four tackles, an aerial duel and had a 90 per cent pass success rate

Lisandro Martinez admitted that he was moved almost to tears after hearing the Manchester United faithful sing for him in their 2-0 win over Tottenham on Wednesday night.

Cries of "Argentina! Argentina!" could be heard around Old Trafford after the full-time whistle, as fans showed their appreciation for another impressive performance from their South American defender.

Martinez, known as 'The Butcher of Amsterdam' for his work at former club Ajax, arrived with many questioning how he would be able to deal with the Premier League's physicality at just 5ft 7in, but he has settled in well at United.

The Argentine centre back told Man United's club media: 'To be honest, it's very emotional for me (hearing fans sing for him).

Lisandro Martinez admitted he was deeply moved by the affection of Manchester United fans. The Argentine defender has kept six clean sheets for the Old Trafford club in all competitions

'I'm at one of the best clubs in the world.

'This stadium, the atmosphere is amazing. When I heard the fans singing, I wanted to cry.

'This result is for my grandmother and my grandfather, who are not with me now, but I always feel that love with me.'

The 24-year-old has featured in all 10 of his side's Premier League games this season, and has begun to form a formidable partnership with Raphael Varane, together beating Liverpool, Arsenal and now Tottenham.

He also kept his sixth clean sheet in all competitions since his £57million move from the Dutch capital, and is fast proving that size is not everything.

Martinez won four tackles against Tottenham. He also won an aerial battle against a tall Spurs attack despite standing at just 5ft 7in

The Argentinian international was also also effusive in his praise of his team-mates, particularly in defence, as they shut-out the opposition for the third game in a row in more than a year.

'I think we were very solid in defence tonight,' he added.

'They (Kane and Son) have a lot of quality, very strong, and a lot technical (ability) as well.

'I think we controlled the game tonight, it's great also to get a clean sheet.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11335427/Lisandro-Martinez-reveals-close-TEARS-hearing-supporters-sing-Argentina-Argentina.html
Old 01-11-2022, 09:26 AM   #23
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'I can't tell you a centre back that's been successful at THAT size!': Graeme Souness doubles down on his criticism of Man United's 5ft 9ins Lisandro Martinez for being 'not terribly quick or good enough on the ball'

* Souness did not hold back in his criticisms of the Man United centre-back
* The pundit claimed Martinez's 'physique' will see him 'caught' out at some point
* He believes the defender's height will prove a problem in the Premier League
* The Argentine has kept five clean sheets in his last six United appearances

Graeme Souness has doubled down on his claims that Man United's Lisandro Martinez will struggle to be 'successful' in the Premier League.

Martinez arrived at Old Trafford from Ajax this summer in a deal worth up to £57million and has been praised by United fans for the positive impact he's had on their defence.

However, Souness is not quite as convinced as others and instead insisted that the Argentine will eventually be 'caught' out due to his lack of height.

Speaking on TalkSport, Souness said: 'They've [Man United] got better players in. Whoever's responsible for that, they deserve a pat on the back.

When asked specifically on Martinez, he claimed: 'That worry for me is still there. If you watch at set-pieces, he still uses a blocker or they use him on the near post. He's not got the physique to take on the big guys and man-mark them.

Graeme Souness insists he still not convinced over Lisandro Martinez's move to Man United. The former Liverpool man went on to say that Martinez isn't 'quick' or 'terribly good on the ball'. The pundit claims that Martinez's 'physique' will see him 'caught' out by taller opponents

'I think he's brought a bit of aggression to them. He definitely has. My experience in the dressing rooms are, if you've got a couple people that are willing to stand up and fight, you've got several people coming in behind you.'

Martinez had seemingly eased people's concerns over his 5ft 9in frame having picked up five clean sheets from his last six appearances for United. Though Souness still has his doubts.

He continued: 'There's a lot to like about him. I like his aggression. The first thing he did, when he played Liverpool, he's gone right through Mo Salah early on. For the rest of the game, Salah was looking for him. I like that.

'I just feel, when you're that size, you'll get caught. You'll get pinned in the box. I don't think he's terribly quick. I don't think he's terribly good on the ball. But he's got something about him that makes other people play [well].

'5ft 9in and he's playing against guys that are 6ft 2in. I can't tell you a centre-back, in my time in the English game, that's been super successful being that size.'

Martinez was Erik ten Hag's top defensive target this summer as the United boss looked to reinvent their back-line that had previously caused a lot of issues.

Standing at 5ft 9in, Martinez is considerably smaller than other Premier League defenders. United fans have overlooked concerns of his size due to his aggression shown in matches. Erik ten Hag viewed Martinez as the number one option in his rebuild of United's defence

Souness has taken aim at the United No. 6 multiple times now and insisted Martinez would be a failure after their consecutive losses in the first two games of the season.

'I was watching the game at the weekend, they [Southampton] were putting Che Adams up against him and the goalkeeper and other members of that Southampton team were loading it down that left-hand side trying to stick it on his [Martinez] head,' Souness told talkSPORT.

'He's vertically challenged and I was racking my mind to come up with anyone who's played in the Premier League or indeed the [old] first division that size and been a success.'

Despite Souness' concerns, Martinez has helped stabilise United after a disastrous campaign for their defence last year.

During the 2021-22 Premier League season, United conceded 57 goals which is the highest tally in the club's history. In contrast, they've seen just six goals go against them in their last eight matches.

Martinez will have another opportunity to prove Souness, and anyone still questioning his abilities, wrong when United travel to Real Sociedad on Thursday.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11373249/Graham-Souness-rips-Lisandro-Martinezs-physique-despite-impressing-Man-United.html
Old 04-11-2022, 10:24 AM   #24
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Virgil van Dijk brands criticism of Lisandro Martinez 'ABSOLUTE RUBBISH' as he leaps to the defence of Man United centre-back, insisting he's already proved himself a 'good signing' for Liverpool's bitter rivals

* Virgil van Dijk hits back at criticism on Manchester United's Lisandro Martinez
* Martinez has been criticised since arriving at Old Trafford for his lack of height
* The Liverpool defender believes Martinez is already proving to be a good signing
* The Argentina international joined United from Ajax for £57million this summer

Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk has hit back at criticism over Lisandro Martinez's height by lauding his early impact at Manchester United.

The Argentina international arrived at Old Trafford from Ajax this summer in a deal worth up to £57million and has been an almost ever-present under boss Erik ten Hag.

Martinez, however, has had mixed reviews on his start to life at United after coming under intense criticism following back-to-back defeats to start the season, predominantly for his lack of height.

The 5 foot 9 inch centre-back has eased most people's concerns by forming a formidable partnership with Raphael Varane, which has picked up five clean sheets in their last six matches - with most now praising him for his displays.

Despite a change in opinion from most, fellow defender van Dijk leap to Martinez's defence and shut down the criticism of him when he was a guest on Gary Neville's podcast The Overlap.

'People talking about Lisandro Martínez and his height, are talking absolute rubbish,' Van Dijk said on Sky Bet's The Overlap.

Liverpool star Virgil van Dijk has hit back at criticism of Manchester United's Lisandro Martinez. The Argentina international has been criticised since his £57million move for his lack of height. The Dutchman admitted Martinez is a good signing when he was a guest on The Overlap show

'It can help as a centre-back if you're a bit taller, but what he's done since coming to the Premier League, has been good.

'He's a good signing for Manchester United, he's good on the ball, he's very passionate, so I can only speak positively about him.

'I have respect for what he's achieved so far, and I hope he does well at United, but that he doesn't get successful there with winning trophies!

'In England, everyone loves criticising players about everything, but that's fine because you can't change it.

'Lisandro has shown many good performances already, and he shouldn't think about the outside noise around him.'

The Dutchman's defence of Martinez comes just after Graeme Souness revealed that he is still not convinced and feels that eventually the defender will get caught out.

Souness told TalkSport: 'That worry for me is still there. If you watch at set-pieces, he still uses a blocker or they use him on the near post. He's not got the physique to take on the big guys and man-mark them.

'I think he's brought a bit of aggression to them. He definitely has. My experience in the dressing rooms are, if you've got a couple people that are willing to stand up and fight, you've got several people coming in behind you.

'There's a lot to like about him. I like his aggression. The first thing he did, when he played Liverpool, he's gone right through Mo Salah early on. For the rest of the game, Salah was looking for him. I like that.

'I just feel, when you're that size, you'll get caught. You'll get pinned in the box. I don't think he's terribly quick. I don't think he's terribly good on the ball. But he's got something about him that makes other people play [well].

'5ft 9in and he's playing against guys that are 6ft 2in. I can't tell you a centre-back, in my time in the English game, that's been super successful being that size.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11386695/Virgil-van-Dijk-brands-criticism-Lisandro-Martinez-ABSOLUTE-RUBBISH-leaps-defence.html
Old 20-12-2022, 08:42 AM   #25
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Old 22-12-2022, 08:48 AM   #26
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'I'm leaving, I can sign for Arsenal. But if you want me I'll go to Man United': Erik ten Hag reveals the phone call from Lisandro Martinez that robbed Mikel Arteta of his 'top priority' signing in a £55m deal

* Erik ten Hag claims Lisandro Martinez was set to join Arsenal over the summer
* Martinez followed Ten Hag to Man United after sealing a £55m move from Ajax
* The defender called his old boss to explain he was close to signing for Arsenal
* But after indicating his preference to join United, Ten Hag made the deal happen
* He has since gone on to become one of the Dutchman's most important players

Erik ten Hag has opened up on the phone call with Lisandro Martinez which helped Manchester United hijack Arsenal's move for the defender in the summer.

Martinez, who played a key role in Argentina's triumph at the 2022 World Cup, followed Ten Hag to United in July after completing a £55million switch from Ajax.

His first few outings for the club did not go to plan, with Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher insisting the 5ft 7in centre-back would never flourish as part of a four-man defence in the Premier League after a 4-1 defeat away at Brentford.

Yet since those comments, Martinez has left Carragher red-faced by finding his feet in Manchester and producing a number of superb displays before helping Argentina become world champions.

During an interview with Dutch football magazine Voetbal International, Ten Hag revealed how Martinez called him to explain that he was close to joining Mikel Arteta's side, but would prefer to join him at United if the opportunity arose.

The Dutchman said: 'Whether I found it difficult to get Martínez away from Ajax? I had such a good time there, how we experienced the process together. From scratch we brought Ajax back to the European top. That project has been so dear to me.

Erik ten Hag has revealed the call with Lisandro Martinez that brought him to Man United. Martinez called Ten Hag to explain he was on the verge of signing for Mikel Arteta's Arsenal. Ten Hag says the Argentine told him he would prefer to head to United if the chance was there

'But Martínez himself wanted to leave Ajax anyway. If we hadn't taken him, he would have gone to Arsenal.

'They wanted him anyway, he was top priority there. Licha called me at one point: "Coach, listen, I'm leaving Ajax anyway. I can sign with Arsenal, but if you want me, I'm going to Manchester United."

'Then I thought: I shouldn't shoot myself and United in the foot either. He really wasn't staying in Amsterdam, that was out of the question. Then we struck and it all worked out.'

Arsenal were the frontrunners to prise Martinez away from Ajax before United entered the race, and after choosing to reunite with Ten Hag in Manchester the player is said to have called Arteta to inform him of his decision.

Journalist Ben Jacobs revealed on The Football Terrace that he got in contact with Arteta personally to let the Spaniard know he would not be heading to Arsenal, who instead brought William Saliba back into their first-team fold after a loan spell at Marseille.

Martinez is then said to have got in contact with Arteta to let him know he would not be joining. That freed him up to complete a £55million switch to Old Trafford and reunite with Ten Hag. Martinez overcame a difficult start at United and is now one of Ten Hag's most trusted stars

The Gunners have enjoyed the stronger start to the season, taking 37 points from a possible 42 to lead Manchester City by five points at the top of the Premier League.

United, meanwhile, sit 11 points behind them in fifth after winning eight out of 14 this season.

Martinez started two games and came off the bench three times in Argentina's successful run at the World Cup in Qatar.

Speaking ahead of United's return to competitive action on Wednesday night with the visit of Burnley, Scott McTominay revealed his team-mate's response to his text following their victory.

'I messaged Lisandro the other day and said congratulations,' said McTominay. 'He said "we go for the next one". He’s just won a World Cup, so that shows the mentality that is in the group.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11561891/Erik-ten-Hag-claims-Lisandro-Martinez-joined-Arsenal-not-Man-United-move.html
Old 31-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #27
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Lisandro Martinez is under MORE pressure to deliver for Man United after his World Cup success with Argentina, insists Erik ten Hag as the Dutchman is faced with a dilemma over whether to throw the defender straight in

* Lisandro Martinez was part of the Argentina squad that triumphed in Qatar
* Erik ten Hag said that the pressure is now on him to continue performing for club
* Dutchman joked he 'thinks' the defender is sober after wild parade celebrations
* Manchester United boss said that Argentina 'played to win' at the World Cup

Erik ten Hag has warned World Cup winner Lisandro Martinez that he will be under more pressure following his success with Argentina in Qatar, and believes the Manchester United defender still has room for improvement.

Martinez returned to training at United this week following 10 days of celebrations in South America, and Ten Hag must decide whether to throw him straight back into action against Wolves in Saturday’s lunchtime clash at Molineux.

‘I think he’s sober, I’m sure he is!’ joked the Dutchman. ‘It’s definitely a boost for him. He has high self-belief and I think this experience will strengthen him even more. He has to bring that into the squad.

‘Argentina played to win, in contrast to many other nations who played not to lose. He has shown that mentality several times with Manchester United: to be proactive, that’s what I like.’

Ten Hag isn’t surprised by Martinez’s progress at United and success with Argentina this season after paying his old club Ajax £55.3million for the defender in July.

But the United boss says there is more to come from the 24-year-old who, he believes, will face an even greater challenge in the Premier League as a result of Argentina’s triumph.

Manchester United confirmed Lisandro Martinez returned to first-team training on Wednesday

‘I didn’t have any doubts, that’s why I brought him in, because I know there is high potential,’ added Ten Hag. ‘If he works well, he can make huge progress – there is room for improvement.

‘Now he is returning from the World Cup, he also has a new challenge to get over because the experience is so emotional.

‘You have to manage that as a player because opponents, even more, will be tougher against him. It’s a good challenge. If you survive the challenge, you will be a better player. That’s the player Lisandro Martinez is: he likes challenges.’

Ten Hag also paid tribute to Casemiro who has slotted back in seamlessly at United following an impressive showing for Brazil at the World Cup which included an excellent late winner in the group stage against Switzerland.

Erik ten Hag said there was now pressure on Martinez to maintain his level post-triumph

The 30-year-old excelled in Tuesday’s Premier League win over Nottingham Forest at Old Trafford, and Ten Hag was asked if he was surprised that Real Madrid agreed to sell him for £65m in the summer.

‘I’m happy they did,’ he replied. ‘You saw also at the World Cup that he’s a magnificent player.

‘Before the season, my analysis was that we needed a No.6 position. He is fulfilling that position. I remember pre-season we had a lot of discussions about us needing the right player. Definitely, we have the right player.

‘I’m really happy to have him because he is raising the limits of Manchester United.’

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11586217/Lisandro-Martinez-pressure-deliver-Manchester-United-says-Erik-ten-Hag.html
Old 26-01-2023, 08:28 AM   #28
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'He's the kind of person you want to be in the trenches with': Roy Keane praises Lisandro Martinez's 'character and desire', while Michael Dawson highlights his bravery in man of the match display for Man United in 3-0 win at Forest

* Man United beat Nottingham Forest 3-0 in the Carabao Cup semi-final first leg
* Lisandro Martinez made more tackles and passes than any player on the pitch
* The 25-year-old has only lost six games since his summer arrival, winning 19

Pundits piled on the praise for Lisandro Martinez after his Player of the Match performance against Nottingham Forest on Wednesday night.

Martinez was outstanding with his back to goal at The City Ground, and Roy Keane was quick to emphasise how he loves to defend, while Michael Dawson was effusive in his appraisal of the Argentinian's bravery.

Manchester United won 3-0 to take a commanding step towards the Carabao Cup final, thanks to a sensational Marcus Rashford opener, before Wout Weghorst opened his account and Bruno Fernandes made it three.

And Keane - who was infamous for his readiness to make a strong challenge in his playing days - was glowing in his praise of the United defender.

'He's the kind of person you want to be in the trenches with. From a defender's point of view they'll be delighted with a clean sheet.'

And ex-Tottenham and Forest centre back Dawson added: 'There are times when he's a bit rash and he plays on the edge. He's brave. You saw that with the goal he scored against Arsenal.

'You have to be able to play at Manchester United, but your job is to defend. People questioned him, but he's a brave boy. David de Gea will be delighted to have him in front of him.'

The World Cup winner with Argentina was influential at both ends of the pitch in United's comfortable victory.

He finished the game with the most touches (119), passes (103), interceptions (two) and tackles made (five) of any player on the field.

Lisandro Martinez drew widespread praise from pundits after his display vs Nottingham Forest. Roy Keane claimed that the Argentinian was a defender 'you want to be in the trenches with'. He was praised by Michael Dawson for his bravery in scoring against Arsenal in Sunday's loss. No player had more passes or touches of the ball than Martinez, who also had the most tackles

The 25-year-old also recorded nine recoveries, three aerial duels won, four clearances and six passes into the final third for his side.

And as a result of a sensational showing on Tuesday night, Martinez was named the Player of the Match.

'I'm really happy with the job from the guys,' he said to Sky Sports, on receiving the award. 'We played so good today and we controlled the game. We lost the last game so we had to produce now and as a team we did.

The 25-year-old defender was named Player of the Match as a result of a strong performance

'We know [Forest] is doing a really good job but we never gave up. Today we won the game and that's the most important thing.

'You can see when we do the right things we don't concede goals. We controlled the game but we still have many things to improve on and we have to keep going.

'I'm really happy because we showed discipline and I saw [for] the whole game we were pretty focused. We have to play always like this, keep going and keep fighting.

'We know it's a good result for us but we have to take it step-by-step.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11677279/Roy-Keane-hails-Lisandro-Martinezs-character-desire-Michael-Dawson-hails-bravery.html
Roy Keane dalam wujud bek bermain lugas dan tanpa kompromi
Old 27-01-2023, 08:38 AM   #29
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Lisandro Martinez has locked down Man United's defence after a rocky start and doubts about his height... Harry Maguire has never looked further from Erik ten Hag's plans

* Lisandro Martinez has ended debates over Manchester United's weak back four
* Martinez helped the Red Devils all but secure a place in the Carabao Cup final
* The World Cup winner is proving that questions over his height were ridiculous

The greatest compliment you can pay Lisandro Martinez is that very few people talk about Manchester United’s defence any more.

Apart from those difficult early weeks of the season, when United were losing to Brentford and Brighton and Martinez was dismissed because he is only 5ft 9ins, the United back four is no longer a popular topic for debate.

Remember the Harry Maguire psychodrama during the tortuous latter days of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s regime? Error after error followed by discussion after discussion about whether Solskjaer would keep faith with the England defender.

Those days are gone. Maguire can’t get in the side anymore and once you’ve covered that, there is nowhere else to go.

Instead, Martinez has the defence locked down and soaked up the adulation of the United supporters after Wednesday’s 3-0 win at Nottingham Forest, which all but assured Erik ten Hag’s team of a place in the Carabao Cup final ahead of next week’s second leg at Old Trafford.

The travelling fans chanted ‘Argentina! Argentina!’ after Martinez was named man of the match by Sky Sports pundit Gary Neville, a treble winner with United in 1999. Another United great, Roy Keane, is also a fan.

The Man United back four is no longer a popular topic for debate thanks to Lisandro Martinez. England star Harry Maguire can't get in the side anymore due to Martinez's form. Martinez helped the Red Devils all but secure a place in the Carabao Cup final against Forest

‘Really good character, he gives them really good balance,’ said Keane. ‘He's got pride in his defending. You've seen his character and his desire. He wants to defend.

‘He's the kind of person you want to be in the trenches with. From a defender's point of view they'll be delighted with a clean sheet.’

The shutout was United’s sixth clean sheet in 10 matches since club football returned after the World Cup.

Martinez won the trophy with Argentina and did not play for his club again until the 3-0 win over Bournemouth on January 3 but he has slotted back in perfectly.

The former Ajax defender helped Argentina win the 2022 World Cup in Qatar in December. Martinez returned for United with his World Cup medal in their 3-0 win over Bournemouth

While the questions about his height were understandable, they were also a little daft. Remember Italy’s World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro? Height: 5ft 9ins. How about Ivan Cordoba, the tigerish Colombian who spent 12 years with Inter Milan? He was an inch shorter.

At 5ft 10ins, Roberto Ayala was only an inch taller than his fellow Argentine Martinez, but no forward who came up against him was able to bully him. Then there is Carles Puyol and Franco Baresi. The list goes on.

The Premier League website features a host of statistics on every player in the competition and Martinez’s are fascinating.

The 24 interceptions suggests a sound positional sense, though he will want to improve that tackle success rate of 52 per cent. Yet the most striking one is at the bottom of the list. ‘Errors leading to goal: zero.’

Quote:
MARTINEZ'S STATS FOR MAN UTD

Lisandro Martinez's Premier League statistics

Clean sheets: 5

Goals Conceded: 24

Tackles: 31

Tackle success: 52%

Last man tackles: 0

Blocked shots: 2

Interceptions: 24

Clearances: 69

Headed Clearance: 38

Clearances off line: 0

Recoveries: 98

Duels won: 69

Duels lost: 42

Successful 50/50s: 7

Aerial battles won: 23

Aerial battles lost: 16

Own goals: 0

Errors leading to goal: 0
With their £57million defender leading the charge, United remain in the hunt in four cup competitions. As they would have expected at the start of the season, Forest’s sole focus is now Premier League survival.

They have little chance of overturning this result in the second leg and they are already out of the FA Cup after boss Steve Cooper chose to field a weakened team at Blackpool in the third round.

Forest owner Evangelos Marinakis was at the City Ground on Wednesday, his first visit this year.

After signing an astonishing 23 players last summer, Forest are looking for more this window – and if they didn’t know it already, Martinez’s performance should have told them to prioritise a centre-back.

Forest have looked much more solid since the autumn when Cooper switched from a back three to a back four, yet doubts remain about the quality of Joe Worrall, Steve Cook and Scott McKenna at this level.

Willy Boly has performed well since his arrival from Wolves yet is physically fragile, while Moussa Niakhate was injured in the second game of the season and has not reappeared.

With Morgan Gibbs-White and Brennan Johnson in fine form, Forest will test any time. Yet they desperately need a top-class defender to aid their bid to beat relegation. Someone like Lisandro Martinez.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11679031/With-57m-Lisandro-Martinez-leading-charge-people-arent-talking-Man-Uniteds-defence.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 4
Andi Istiabudi, rio vander vidic, udhetewur, zudomiriku