United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Players

Old 25-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #161
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Harry Maguire

Maguire mungkin bisa menjadi kapten United yang hebat jika skuadnya terdiri dari Massimo Taibi, Fellaini, Phil Jones, Eric Djemba-Djemba dan Dong Fangzhou
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 09:44 AM   #162
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

'It always seems to be him': Jermain Defoe admits Harry Maguire is making far too many 'avoidable' mistakes... after the England defender endured another torrid evening which saw him concede a penalty against Germany at Wembley

* Harry Maguire has been struggling for form at club level in recent months
* Despite this, Gareth Southgate has continued to stand by him for England
* Maguire started against Germany on Monday but had another poor game
* He conceded a penalty, and lost the ball in the build-up to a Germany goal
* Jermain Defoe thinks Maguire is making too many mistakes at the moment

Jermain Defoe has admitted that Harry Maguire is making far too many errors at the moment after the centre-back had another torrid night during England's 3-3 draw against Germany on Monday.

The Manchester United captain has struggled for form in recent months and has been dropped by Erik ten Hag at Old Trafford, but Gareth Southgate has continued to stand by Maguire at international level.

The 29-year-old did not repay that faith at Wembley, though, as he gave away a penalty for Germany's first goal when he tripped Jamal Musiala, and was then dispossessed in the build-up to their second strike. Defoe was unable to defend Maguire's mistakes as he assessed the goals afterwards.

'You look at the goals and they were avoidable,' Defoe said on Channel 4.

'Silly mistakes, you give the ball away and then you give away a penalty. Individual mistakes, and for some reason, it always seems to be him.'

Maguire's inclusion in Southgate's starting XI for England's games against Italy and Germany over the past three days has been one of the main talking points of the international break.

The defender's name was booed when it was read out ahead of kick-off on Monday, with some fans clearly feeling that he shouldn't be in the team based on his current level of performance.

He was also jeered during the game, especially when things started to go wrong for England at the back in the second half.

Harry Maguire was at least partially at fault for two of Germany's goals on Monday night. Gareth Southgate has continued to stand by Maguire, but he struggled badly at Wembley. Jermain Defoe thinks Harry Maguire is making far too many 'avoidable' mistakes right now

Defoe is aware of the criticism that Maguire has faced, and is rooting for him to get back to his best.

He has called for Maguire to try to play with more freedom so that he can return to the form that saw him shine at the World Cup in 2018, and the Euros last year, when he was named in the Team of the Tournament.

'It's a funny one because like I said at the top of the show, there's been a lot of negativity around him and you want him to play well because he's done well in tournaments for England,' Defoe added.

'We've seen him in the tournaments, he's done well to be honest. You just want him to take the handbrake off and just play.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11252599/Jermain-Defoe-admits-Harry-Maguire-making-avoidable-mistakes.html
Old 28-09-2022, 12:01 PM   #163
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

It's 'TOO LATE' for Harry Maguire to save his Man United career, he 'looks like an overwhelmed, startled bunny' and England spot 'may be untenable' says Jamie Carragher, urging him to take responsibility

* Harry Maguire faced more criticism after two errors in 3-3 draw with Germany
* Gareth Southgate kept faith with the out-of-form defender at Wembley
* But Maguire conceded a penalty then was caught out of possession for a goal
* It poses serious questions over whether he should start at the World Cup
* Maguire has also lost his Manchester United place after poor performances
* Jamie Carragher has suggested Maguire needs to leave United and start afresh

Harry Maguire looks like a 'startled bunny' who needs to cut his losses at Manchester United and start afresh in his career, according to Jamie Carragher.

The 29-year-old was one of England's star performers during their run to the European Championship final last year but finds himself in a slump for both club and country.

He was jeered by England fans at Wembley when his name was read out prior to Monday night's Nations League encounter with Germany.

Maguire then conceded a penalty before losing the ball in the lead-up to Germany's second goal in the 3-3 draw, putting his place in Gareth Southgate's World Cup line-up in serious jeopardy.

And former England and Liverpool defender Carragher questioned whether Maguire has the mental resolve and fighting spirit to keep weathering the storm.

Harry Maguire endured another evening to forget during England's 3-3 draw with Germany. The Manchester United defender conceded a penalty and gave the ball away for Germany's second goal before England fought back at Wembley. Jamie Carragher has suggested that Maguire may need to leave United for a fresh start

'My question to Maguire is this: "Do you still have that same fury in you?" Carragher wrote in his Daily Telegraph column.

'Too often, it looks as if the weight of the world is on his shoulders, like he is a startled bunny more than the authoritative centre-back he was.

'I think it is too late at club level. I wrote last year he was fighting for his Manchester United career.

'He needs this to be his final season at Old Trafford and start afresh.

'Now it is England's problem. When I watched Maguire in the last two games, I felt sorry for him. But that is not a good look for any sports person.

'Sympathy will not get him back where he was two years ago.'

While Maguire has received the backing of Southgate and will almost certainly be in the squad for Qatar, he faces the prospect of going into the World Cup short on match practice.

Erik ten Hag dropped his captain from the United team after they lost their first two Premier League games of the season, against Brighton and Brentford.

Maguire retains the trust of England manager Gareth Southgate but his place is under threat. The defender was also dropped by United manager Erik ten Hag earlier this season

With Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez forming an effective central defensive partnership, and United winning their four subsequent league games, Maguire isn't likely to regain his spot anytime soon.

Carragher added: 'Criticism of his performance against Germany is valid and justified and Southgate must assess if Maguire is mentally right for a World Cup, able to show he can put all the issues behind him.

'In the past, it is something Maguire has struggled with. How can the manager make such a big call before the opening game against Iran unless Maguire is playing for his club?'

It came as Southgate held a heart-to-heart with Maguire in the Wembley tunnel after his error-strewn display on Monday night.

He held a personal one-on-one chat to offer his defender support before he left the national stadium.

Maguire was also backed by several of his team-mates following the game.

Harry Kane praised Harry Maguire's 'great character' after he played the final 10 minutes of England's game with Germany on Monday night

Skipper Harry Kane said: 'Any individual mistake, you're going to be gutted. But we are a team, we will get behind each other.

'They will learn from it and they'll move on. They have been great for us every time they put the shirt on.

'H [Maguire] had a pretty decent injury there at the end, where he played another five, 10 minutes, on almost one leg.

'Great character from him, I'm really proud of him for that.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11254259/Harry-Maguire-save-Man-United-career-says-Jamie-Carragher.html
Old 28-09-2022, 12:14 PM   #164
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Gary Neville suggests Harry Maguire see a psychologist to deal with confidence issues ahead of the World Cup this winter... as Gareth Southgate continues to back the Man United defender and insists he gives England 'the best chance of winning' in Qatar

* Harry Maguire has been struggling at club and international level recently
* He has received criticism from fans and seems to be having confidence issues
* Gary Neville feels Maguire could benefit from speaking to a psychologist
* Despite his current issues, Neville thinks Maguire should go to the World Cup

Former England defender Gary Neville has urged Harry Maguire to see a psychologist to help him through his slump in form.

Maguire was at fault for two of the goals England conceded in Monday’s 3-3 draw against Germany, casting further doubt on his international future and increasing calls for the centre back to be dropped for the World Cup.

‘I’ve been there,’ said Neville. ‘Every player has. When I lost my confidence, I saw a psychologist to help me through those moments.

‘But there’s nothing you can do other than show up, try your best and not give in.

‘At some point, his form will return. I would suggest he does what I did. I did go and see my doctor at Manchester United. I did go and see a psychologist. You do need external help at times.’

Gary Neville thinks England defender Harry Maguire should seek help from a psychologist. Maguire had a difficult game against Germany on Monday which saw him concede a penalty. Neville thinks Maguire should go to the World Cup even though he is struggling for form

England boss Gareth Southgate held heart-to-heart talks for around five minutes with Maguire in the Wembley tunnel on Monday night after the 29-year-old’s latest error-strewn display.

Southgate has given Maguire his unequivocal backing by starting him against Germany and in Italy last Friday, as well as publicly backing him more than once — a theme that continued on Monday.

Southgate said: ‘I know everybody says he’s important to me, he’s important to us! It’s us. It’s not me. Why do we pick him? Because he’s one of the players who gives us the best chance of winning. We should all be wanting a Harry Maguire who’s playing regularly and with confidence.

‘That applies to quite a few players but he’s the one everything lands on which must be a tough space for him. But he’s showing tremendous character.’

Having lost his place in the United starting XI under Erik ten Hag, the prospect of Maguire playing regularly between now and the World Cup appears small. Nevertheless, all the indications are that Southgate will keep faith with him in Qatar.

Maguire is waiting for news on the extent of a muscular injury he suffered on Monday. John Stones, who sustained a hamstring injury, is back with Manchester City and will continue to be assessed.

Maguire also faces the prospect of a trial in the Greek courts. His appeal against his conviction and suspended jail sentence over a holiday brawl is set for June 7 on the island of Syros. He was found guilty in 2020 of assaulting a police officer and attempted bribery after an incident on the Greek island.

Maguire was given a sentence of 21 months and 10 days, suspended for three years, but the appeal nullified his conviction and triggered a full retrial.

Southgate and his No2 Steve Holland flew to Austria on Tuesday to watch a 1-1 friendly draw between England’s first World Cup group opponents, Iran, and Senegal, who they could meet in the last 16.

They also had representatives in Spain to watch the USA, their second opponents in Group B, draw 0-0 with Saudi Arabia.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11255103/Gary-Neville-advises-Harry-Maguire-follow-footsteps-help-psychologist.html
Old 01-10-2022, 11:48 AM   #165
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Kalau sang manager memang yakin ya sudahlah..

TEN HAG: WE ALL BELIEVE IN MAGUIRE'S QUALITY

Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has spoken passionately about Harry Maguire’s personality and quality, stating everybody at the club is backing him to show his best form.

Our club captain started the opening Premier League matches of the season against Brighton and Brentford before he was replaced in the team by Raphael Varane. The latter has since performed well alongside new signing Lisandro Martinez and helped us to earn four straight top-flight wins.

In a mark of the man's character, Maguire has remained positive and the 29-year-old is constantly supporting his team-mates in every way he can as the squad continues to develop and improve in Ten Hag's first campaign.

At the start of Friday’s press conference to preview this weekend’s Manchester derby, Ten Hag confirmed Harry is unavailable for selection with an injury he sustained while playing for England against Germany on Monday.

When pressed further on Maguire's form and the media scrutiny that he has been under, the manager admitted he has spoken to the centre-back personally about how they can rectify the situation.

“First of all of course, I have to coach him, I have to back him,” Ten Hag told journalists at Carrington.

“But I back him because I believe in him and in the period I have worked with him, pre-season was good. I would say he was really good in training and in games.

“Then he falls out [of the team], but that is also to do with the good performances of the centre-backs I am playing now. But I can see qualities and even after not being in the team, he has played really well.

“More importantly the quality was really there and you can see in his career, he is almost on 50 caps for England, and already with Leicester and United, he has performed really well.

“What you see is a high potential. Then it is about him. The players in the dressing room, the coaches, the manager, we all believe in him and now it is about him. That is what I told him. I am sure he can do it and he will turn this around, I am really convinced of that.”

To finish the press conference, Ten Hag was asked about players' mental health in the modern game and how clubs can help them to deal with online commentary.

“It is an aspect of top football and it is an aspect of our work,” replied the manager. “So we set conditions for that as manager and we also have experts around to help, to coach the players, the team in the right direction.

“I think he [Harry] is doing quite well but every player has room for improvement. If he believes in his skills, he will be quickly back on the level and even more than he did. Once again, I am convinced of that because I have seen his capabilities and it is really high.”

www.manutd.com
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #166
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'You can't find form in the World Cup': Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher insist Gareth Southgate will be 'SERIOUSLY thinking' about leaving Harry Maguire out of his team in Qatar after poor England displays added to Man United woes

* Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville question Harry Maguire's World Cup status
* Neville believes Maguire is making too many mistakes for club and country
* He added that the Man United captain must seek 'something away from football'
* Carragher labelled Maguire as a big worry for Gareth Southgate and England

Harry Maguire shouldn't start for England at the upcoming World Cup according to Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher as both questioned his defensive capabilities.

The Man United captain is currently nursing an injury and was forced to watch Sunday's 6-3 hammering in the Manchester derby from the stands as Erling Haaland and Phil Foden both netted hattricks.

Maguire has come in for heavy criticism at club and international level with his recent inclusion in England's Nations League games calling Gareth Southgate's selection decisions into question.

Sympathetic Neville admitted that England are lacking an abundance of world class central defenders heading into the Qatar World Cup, but insisted the 29-year-old is making too many mistakes to justify a starting role at the tournament.

'Maguire wouldn’t have enjoyed watching it but he would’ve understood how hard the job would have been. It’s really tough for him at the moment', said Neville

Harry Maguire is facing calls to be dropped from the England squad ahead of the World Cup. The Manchester United hasn't started in the Premier League since August's defeat to Brentford. Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher have both questioned Harry Maguire's involvement with England ahead of the Qatar World Cup. Gareth Southgate picked Maguire for his recent squad that faced Germany and Italy

'England just don’t have the pool of centre backs, and he’s got a lot of credit in the bank. If there were world class CBs behind him they’d be in the team but they haven’t.

'The injury he’s got, Southgate will be seriously thinking about leaving him out the team. Just to protect him, he’s making mistakes.

'You can’t find form in the World Cup. Now it’s getting to the point where Southgate may be thinking he has to bring in other centre-backs.

'These things happen to football players and you need to ask yourselves the questions. Harry must seek something away from football, it’s not easy to speak to people.

Maguire was part of the Euro 2020 team of the tournament as England lost to Italy on penalties.

But since then has struggled for form at both club and international level with him relegated to the bench under Erik ten Hag, last starting in the Premier League during United's 4-0 loss to Brentford in August.

Former Liverpool defender Carragher labelled Maguire as England's best central defender but explained he is a worry for England if not playing regularly at Manchester United.

'He has been England’s best CB. Southgate had to pick him to see where he was at. But they didn’t go well and that is a big worry', said Carragher.

'He doesn’t normally play like that for England. It creates a big problem because the manager wants to pick him but I don’t think it’s a position he can go into a WC with if Harry Maguire isn’t playing.

'I think criticism is over the top and it is a bullying. Rio Ferdinand and John Terry didn’t achieve what he’s achieved. It’s very difficult for him to start in the WC,' he added.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11277173/Gary-Neville-Jamie-Carragher-suggest-Gareth-Southgate-drop-Harry-Maguire.html
Old 10-10-2022, 09:34 AM   #167
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Harry Maguire 'given special permission to go on holiday' in an attempt to 'clear his head' by Erik ten Hag, despite the Dutchman 'usually having strict rules that injured players must remain with the first team'

* Harry Maguire was reportedly given special permission to go on holiday
* Erik ten Hag sanctioned the getaway to help the injured Maguire 'clear his head'
* The Dutchman usually has a rule that injured players must stay with the squad
* The decision is said to have caused more tension in a frustrated dressing room

Harry Maguire was given special permission by Erik ten Hag to go on holiday this week and 'clear his head', according to a report.

The defender has endured a torrid campaign for both club and country so far this season, and is unavailable for selection as he struggles with a hamstring injury picked up on international duty.

According to The Sun, ten Hag made a special exception to his usual rule that injured players must stay with the squad to allow Maguire to holiday at the golf resort of Quinta do Lagofor in an attempt to help him rediscover his form.

Maguire sat out of United's 3-2 Europa League win over Omonia on Thursday, and will miss their trip to Everton today as he continues to recover from the issue.

The Red Devils captain has been resigned to the bench for the majority of this season, with ten Hag preferring Raphael Varane and Lisandro Martinez at centre-back to the England man.

ten Hag is said to be desperate to see Maguire regain form soon, and he has taken drastic measures to try and help this happen.

Harry Maguire is said to have been given special permission to go on holiday this last week. Erik ten Hag reportedly sanctioned the holiday to help the Red Devils captain 'clear his head'. Magiure has struggled for form for a number of months now and is currently out injured. The United captain has had to settle for a spot on the bench in recent games for United

A source reportedly said: 'Erik has high standards for everyone to abide by. He expects all injured players to remain with the group.

'He believes they should function as one unit - injured or not.

'But in Harry's case he felt there were exceptional circumstances. He wanted him to have a mental break from the pressure he's under.

'He went away with his family and Erik hopes that will put him in a better place to recover from injury and rediscover his form.'

It is reported however that Maguire's absence this week has caused further rifts in the United dressing room, with players said to have clashed after their 6-3 Manchester derby defeat last weekend.

ten Hag reportedly got players together on Monday for an analysis of the game but the meeting is said to have boiled over.

Martinez and midfielder Scott McTominay are said to have been among the most vocal players at the meeting.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11295691/Harry-Maguire-given-special-permission-holiday-attempt-clear-head.html
Old 28-10-2022, 09:37 AM   #168
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

'These fans will get behind him… fingers crossed he gets back to the Harry Maguire we all know': Man United captain backed to find his form in time for the World Cup by Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves after returning from injury

* Harry Maguire returned to the Manchester United side after a hamstring injury
* Paul Scholes praised his performance but argued West Ham will be a bigger test
* Owen Hargreaves however hoped that he can get back into the England set up

Paul Scholes and Owen Hargreaves have been quick to heap praise on Harry Maguire on his return to the Manchester United side after an injury lay-off.

The England defender was suffering with a hamstring injury sustained while on England duty but came off the bench to show brief glimpses of solidity and surety at the back for United.

The club captain replaced Lisandro Martinez - who was partnered by Victor Lindelof - at the break, and received plenty of support from the Old Trafford faithful who Scholes believes 'realise' the pressure the defender has been under.

'He's had a tough time and these fans will get behind him,' said the former United midfielder. 'They realise how difficult the last year to 18 months have been for him.

'We want him to get back to the player he is, the player he can be. That wasn't a test tonight there will be bigger tests ahead if he plays next week, plays against West Ham.

'That will be a true test for his form so fingers crossed he gets back to the Harry Maguire we all know.'

Harry Maguire returned after a lay-off with a hamstring injury sustained with the England side. Paul Scholes believed a real test for the Englishman will come against West Ham next week. He came off the bench for Lisandro Martinez. Former Man United midfielder wants the defender to make it back into the England set-up

The 29-year-old's fall from form has been nothing short of startling, going from arguably the premier centre-half in England, to a player that many believe should be nowhere near a seat on the plane to Qatar.

But England boss Gareth Southgate has kept his faith in the player, and picked him consistently in his international squads, to the chagrin of many.

However a run in the United side before the World Cup could provide the former Leicester and Hull man with the platform he needs to stake a claim on a spot in a defence that is far from set in stone.

And the absence of Raphael Varane through a leg injury sustained at Chelsea last week can only help him in that venture.

And Owen Hargreaves was quick to voice his hope that Maguire can make it back into the international fold in time for the tournament - which kicks off on November 20 in Qatar.

'Hopefully (he can get back for England),' claimed Hargreaves. 'These fans were brilliant. I think he will be delighted and will be keen to be fit for England.'

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11363233/Paul-Scholes-Owen-Hargreaves-insist-Harry-Maguire-delighted-Man-United-return.html
Old 27-11-2022, 03:18 PM   #169
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Roy Keane gives Harry Maguire a backhanded compliment for his promising display against USA, but insists the England star is a 'big boy' who needs to 'accept the criticism' after being dropped by Man United

* Harry Maguire delivered a standout performance in England's draw with USA
* Roy Keane has praised him for his display and thinks it will give him confidence
* Keane still feels Maguire must 'accept the criticism' that he has received
* Maguire has been criticised after he was dropped by Manchester United

Roy Keane has praised Harry Maguire for his performance against the USA but suggested the defender has deserved the criticism he has received this season after being dropped by Manchester United.

England were held to a 0-0 draw by USA on Friday, with a number of players struggling to influence the game.

Maguire was arguably England's standout player as he made several crucial clearances to ensure that Gareth Southgate's side kept a clean sheet, while also playing the ball out well from defence.

His display went some way to answering his critics after his shaky start to the season at club level, yet Keane believes fans and pundits have every right to question the centre-back.

'He's done well tonight. The reason he gets stick is because he's not playing well. That's football,' Keane said on ITV.

'For some reason everyone has sympathy for Harry Maguire. But he did do well tonight, done the basics right and defended, simple as that, that's his job.'

'That will give him a little bit of confidence, with a clean sheet, but he's a big boy, he's got to accept the criticism and we'll give him a bit of praise because he's done well. That [playing passes out from the back] is one of his strengths anyway.

'He's lacked a little bit of confidence and that's what he's good at. But it's his number one priority to defend.'

Maguire has only started three league games for United this term after Erik Ten Hag left him out of the team's starting XI following their humiliating 4-0 defeat against Brentford in August.

This led to some fans wondering whether Maguire would even make Southgate's World Cup squad, but the England boss has stood by the defender and his faith has been repaid so far.

England defender Harry Maguire produced an assured display against USA on Friday night. Roy Keane thinks Maguire played well, but has deserved the criticism he's received this term. Maguire has been dropped at club level, but has stepped up at the World Cup thus far. He appeared hurt the top of his hamstring making a challenge against USA, but still played the full match

Maguire earned his 50th cap on Friday and delivered one of his most assured performances in months in the draw with the US.

His latest outing was particularly impressive given that he was a doubt heading into the match after being substituted in England's opening game against Iran due to feeling unwell.

He appeared to clutch the top of his hamstring in the latter stages of the USA match but was able to complete the full 90 minutes.

England fans will hope it is not a serious issue as he appears to have rediscovered his form just when his country needs him to step up.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11471603/Roy-Keane-gives-Harry-Maguire-backhanded-compliment-promising-display-against-USA.html
Old 01-12-2022, 08:31 AM   #170
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Gary Neville backs Harry Maguire to come through his struggles at Man United... as he claims the defender will feel 'bulletproof' when he returns to Old Trafford after impressing for England at the World Cup

* Harry Maguire has been a mainstay of Gareth Southgate's side at the World Cup
* The central defender had come under intense criticism for his United form
* Neville compared his situation to that of United team-mate Marcus Rashford

Gary Neville has claimed Harry Maguire will feel 'bulletproof' when he returns to Manchester United after impressing with his performances for England at the World Cup.

Maguire has been fiercely criticised for his poor form at United but has been a mainstay of Gareth Southgate's side in Qatar, despite his lack of minutes under Erik ten Hag.

The 29-year-old played every minute of England's 3-0 win over Wales and the draw with the USA, and was withdrawn after 70 minutes in the victory against Iran due to illness.

Neville told Sky Sports that Maguire could follow in the footsteps of Marcus Rashford, who also went through a tough period at Old Trafford before regaining his confidence and his place in the starting XI.

'Harry is a good player and a good centre-back who has been brilliant at the last two tournaments - he's just had an awful time at United in the last 12 months and United is a very unforgiving place, I know that from being there for 20 years,' the former United defender-turned pundit said.

'If something isn't right, that place can eat you alive, and Harry is just getting that at the moment.

'But I think he will come through it at United. Look at Marcus, he's been through a difficult period where he probably thought "is my own club turning on me, is my own city not mine anymore? Do I need to move somewhere else? But he's come out of it the other side.

'There are great players that I played with at United who went through the same sort of experience, where it was tough for them for a period. They came through it, were better for it and they're more resilient.

'I don't think Rashford or Maguire when they come out of this tournament will feel phased or lacking in confidence anymore.

Gary Neville believes Harry Maguire will come through his tough period at Manchester United. Maguire, 29, has been in impressive form for England at the World Cup in Qatar. Neville said Maguire could follow United team-mate Marcus Rashford in regaining his form for his club. Maguire has been a mainstay of England's side at the World Cup and has started all three group games

'I went through a tough period in my career, playing poorly for United and England, but I came through it and felt bulletproof... and that's what they will feel when they go back to United.'

Neville said Maguire 'feels more loved by England' and is more at home with the Three Lions compared to being at United.

'I don't think I can think of a player playing better for their country than their club in my career,' he added. 'Harry Maguire plays better for his country than his club.

'There are a number of players that feel that way, like Raheem Sterling. You look at him in that game against Iran - that's better form than we've seen him at Chelsea this season. He feels better, feels at home, they've got a good group and a manager who believes in them and has selected them regularly.

'I didn't think Harry would play, and if he did I thought it would be on the left of a back three.

'So for Harry to play the first games like he has, I think is a massive success and gives him great confidence.'

England will play Senegal in the round of 16 after topping Group B thanks to the comfortable win over Wales.

Maguire is likely to start his fourth consecutive match at the tournament in the knockout clash on Sunday.

Code:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11485899/Gary-Neville-backs-Harry-Maguire-come-torrid-time-Man-United.html

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 15
adaastopa5922, Andi Istiabudi, Bhayu Eka Huday, braausasda9593, Deddy Hernandez, h-ANG, penk22_, Redsbusby, Rendi Pardi, rio vander vidic, Riskur, steve.crowford, tumpal_oneunited, zudomiriku