United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club
Register
Go Back   United Indonesia - Manchester United Indonesia Supporters Club > INSIDE MANCHESTER UNITED > United Crew > Ex United

Old 15-11-2016, 12:45 PM   #561
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gary Neville

Gary Neville names best Manchester United XI... and there's no space for Zlatan Ibrahimovic or Wayne Rooney

* Gary Neville spoke to the Oxford Union on Monday afternoon
* United legend was asked what Manchester United team he would pick
* Henrikh Mikhtaryan, Anthony Martial and Michael Carrick made the cut
* Neville also revealed his all-time United five-a-side dream team

Gary Neville addressed students on Monday at the Oxford Union, revealing his first-choice Manchester United XI and backing Gareth Southgate to be the permanent England manager.

The former United and England right back also discussed his old side’s struggles this season under Jose Mourinho, his troubled time as manager of Valencia and the tale of the Argentine who spat in his face.

Sportsmail brings you the fascinating discussion below.

Gary Neville named the Manchester United XI he would pick if he were the manager

Neville was speaking at the Oxford Union on Monday when he spoke about United's XI. Neville would pair world record purchase Paul Pogba with club veteran Michael Carrick

How do you explain Manchester United's issues since Sir Alex Ferguson left?

'Part of me thinks it was always going to happen. It's hard for them.

'The best description I've heard with respect to Sir Alex Ferguson leaving is that it is like when the father moves out of the family home, the step-father moves in and they don't really listen to him.

'Sir Alex knew everyone's name, everyone was treated equally and when he left and then David Gill left at the same moment, the void was huge.

'Sir Alex was the person who everyone looked up to and he was gone. When you step away from those levels, even two per cent, three per cent or four per cent, it's not good enough.

'Last week was 30 years since he was appointed, in the first three years he won nothing. It took seven years to win his first title, 13 years for his first European trophy and the treble. For all we know, David Moyes or Louis van Gaal could have been great Manchester United managers, but that patience is never going to happen again.

'If you want immediate success, it can become like a hit job and begin to spiral out of control. At times it has felt with United like every £100m spent creates another £100m of problems.'

Quote:
NEVILLE'S BEST XI

David De Gea
Antonio Valencia
Chris Smalling
Eric Bailly
Daley Blind
Paul Pogba
Michael Carrick
Ander Herrera
Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Anthony Martial
Marcus Rashford
What do you make of Jose Mourinho's signings?

'I do think they are players that traditionally fit the Manchester United profile. Players like Paul Pogba, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Eric Bailly are physical signings. Louis van Gaal liked to sign possession-based and technical players.

'The best United teams have pace, they counter-attack, they are dynamic. Louis van Gaal felt like a departure from that. Jose Mourinho I think has been trying to correct a situation where there have been signings that have smacked of desperation of times.'

Are the players responsible?

'The managers are fall guys. When I was there, we simply knew that we would be gone before the manager Sir Alex Ferguson, unless he chose to leave. We live in an industry where the employees have more power than the employers. It is easier to get rid of the manager than 22 players. Players have to take responsibility.

I never came out of a game and thought "that guy sat on the side of the pitch lost that game for us." A lot of the United players have been inconsistent. Some were also incredibly used to one man's vision of football. It's been difficult for players and coaches to get over Sir Alex Ferguson leaving.

Did you feel impact of Ferguson's words in press conferences as players?

'We always felt Ferguson's press conferences were a message to us as players. He'd be angry, he'd be mellow, he'd single a player out for praise, he'd be cold about a player. We'd wonder why he'd done that at that moment of time.

'With regards the knocking Liverpool off their perch comment, that would have been off-the-cuff and raw and real. Manchester United fans in the 1980s grew up seeing Liverpool win titles.

'His job was to stop that happening and make Manchester United win titles. I always remember that Rafa Benitez interview - 'the facts'. They were a good Liverpool team, the closest they'd every got to us I felt. We knew in that moment, once the manager loses it, that it would trickle down to their players and we drew strength from it.'

What would be your current Manchester United XI?

'Well, David de Gea is the easy one in goal. I would then pick Antonio Valencia, Chris Smalling, Eric Bailly and probably Daley Blind at left back at this moment in time.

'I would then have Paul Pogba to the left in midfield, Michael Carrick, Ander Herrera in there. Then ahead of them, I'd have Henrikh Mikhtaryan to the right and then....Anthony Martial to the left and Marcus Rashford up front.

'Oh no, I can see the headlines now! No Rooney or Ibrahimovic! It would be a great subs' bench!'

And your 5-a-side team?

'It would have to be Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo and Roy Keane. We could play against the Liverpool spice boys in the cream suits!'

ON ENGLAND

Should Gareth Southgate get the England job?

'I think it would have to be an English manager. He has managed in the Premier League, he has been in the FA system, coaching the U21 side. I'd say he should be given the job. It feels like the right trajectory. He has done the licenses, understands international and club football, there are few English coaches as qualified as that.'

Who was the best England manager you had?

'Terry Venables was the best by a long way. He was fantastic. He was tactically great and felt very advanced. He was also a good man-manager, he was not afraid. Some England managers felt they weren't their players to discipline, as though they were just visitors for the week. Venables had good people around him like Bryan Robson and Don Howe.'

Neville claims the best England manager he served under was Terry Venables 'by a long way'

How do you diagnose England's problems?

'I went to eight tournaments with England. I don't say that out of arrogance, it's more an embarrassment. There are many reasons for the problem. Not good enough, is one. Sometimes you are just not good enough.

'Another reason is that about 32% of the Premier League is made up of English talent. That's over 50% in Germany and Spain. I also see cultural reasons. Pathways are blocked for young people who dream of being a footballer. It is expensive to watch football both at stadiums and on television. I watched United every week in the stadium as a kid and watching is a great way to learn.

'There has also been a facilities drain, selling off sports fields. Parents are less keen to see their children playing football on the streets. In Spain, each local community or village has their own facilities for kids to use freely. There are many reasons for failing. We have the most money but that money is sometimes directed in the wrong way.

Explain England failures when the talent has been good though?

'Our two big chances were 1996 and 2004. I felt we were better than Portugal in 2004. The injury to Wayne Rooney cost us because he was destroying everyone. I felt we could have won it that year. Then there's penalties, they kept costing us. There you have to mention a mental toughness, how you handle big moments. For you guys here, students, it must be like tackling a big exam, how you handle that big 90 minutes in your life. We need to improve our mental toughness.

'To be a football player you need a level of talent and robust mental strength. A major skill is to create robust people who can handle the truth and handle tough situations. At United, we spoke in truth, accepted it and then forgot about it the next day and moved on. I want young people who can accept obstacles, jump over them and I'd choose them over talented individuals.

'A lot of young people also can't take praise. They change. They change with money, they change with contracts. Don't change. Keep the hard work, keep the humility. Be able to cope with scrutiny and fame. Money alters people in all walks of life.

MANAGEMENT

Will you return to management after Valencia?

'No. I don't think I'll go into management again at all. I'm committed to my businesses and other things. But what did I learn? Well, what's leadership? How do you create a culture of loyalty while also being a clinical and ruthless decision maker?

'I will give you an example. After two weeks of me going in, I knew two senior players wanted to leave. They weren't with the club. I thought I could upskill them and I should have ended it there and then. Moving forwards in business, I will see in their eyes whether they are with you or not, and I that will help decide whether I kick them out.

'If they are not working hard and are not with, you have to cut the ties. I was aware. I rang up Sir Alex Ferguson after 10 days, he told me to get rid of them. I thought "I've only been here 10 days, what if the the fans think I'm a hitman? What will the dressing room make of it?' It plays tricks with yor mind. Overall, people are obssessed with blaming other people but I only look at what I did wrong and three or four critical errors.'

Neville admits he doesn't 'think I'll go into management again at all' after Valencia disaster

Should you have started at a lower tier than a top Spanish club?

'Was I arrogant? I couldn't communicate well. Alvaro Negredo (the former Valencia and now Middlesbrough forward) said in an interview last week that it didn't feel the same. A 15 minute team-talk became half-an-hour with a translator. Everything was elongated.

'I look at what more I could have done once I was there. I had four lessons a week and after four months, just as I was getting sacked, I could do broken team-talks in Spanish. But I was on a football field, doing training sessions, running around with someone by my side. I lost confidence in myself. I don't know about starting lower down. Kenny Dalglish did brilliantly at Liverpool that way, Pep Guardiola's first big job was at Barcelona. There are others who start at the beginning, lower down, the right way and you never see them again because they don't do well in the first job.'

MODERN FOOTBALL AND SALFORD CITY

How do you align business interests with the interests of fans?

'The big things is how you connect between the club and supporters. In 20 years I can say I never heard a United fan question my wage. I think they knew that my commitment and the team's commitment was there. Sometimes, they can put aside that big salary therefore. We do need to reconnect with fans.

'At Altrincham on Saturday, myself, Butty, Scholesy stood behind the goal at Altrincham with the supporters. We didn't buy a club to sip prosecco or whatever it was going to be in the director's box. Our tickets are £7 to get in and £1 for juniors, the lowest in our league. We are trying to show we are in it for the right reasons. But there is a disconnect.

'It might need government intervention. They intervene in other industries, the energy industry for example. Maybe we could have a central board above the Premier League, the Football League, the Football Association and the PFA. It could be a determining body that sits above all that, with representation from supporters, players, and the organisations to ensure a greater redistribution of wealth in the game.'

Asked about this kiss with Paul Scholes, Neviile said he 'did do some stupid things on a pitch'

Is Paul Scholes a good kisser?

'I did do some stupid things on a football pitch really (refers to kissing Scholes after win at Man City)! It's true though that the rules and regulations nowadays don't help. I watched a game recently where a player took his shirt off when he scored and got booked. Why would we want to fine or book a player for demonstrating emotion?

'There is nothing better than jumping into the crowd, squaring up to the opposition. I got banned for two weeks for celebrating one goal against Liverpool. But we talk about the disconnect between fans and players...'

Who was the biggest scumbag you faced?

'There was this Argentine player. He was called (Julio) Cruz, a tall lad for Feyernoord. He spat at me in the face. I think the referee saw it and turned away. It shocked me and that was one of the worst things you can do on the football pitch.

'You probably want someone more well-known, though....I wouldn't say scumbag but playing against Robbie Fowler for Liverpool and Man City was always....interesting. We actually got on well off-the-pitch and at England meets. On the pitch, he once questioned the looks of my girlfriend!'

Do you get on with Jamie Carragher?

'We get along fine....now (laughs). Him being Mr. Liverpool, if you'd siad ten years ago, we'd have a bi-weekly show together, I'd have said no chance. We get on very well. I found I could say things he didn't like and he could say things I didn't like and then you'd forget about it and move on. That's key. Sometimes with pundits, you can see they are not willing to have an argument, they are frightened of upsetting each other.'

Neville say he and Jamie Carragher did not get on in their playing days, but work well now

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3934808/Gary-Neville-names-best-Manchester-United-XI-s-no-space-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-Wayne-Rooney.html
Old 18-02-2017, 11:32 AM   #562
Andi Istiabudi
manager
Youtube: Andi Istiabudi

Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,748 Posts
Mentioned: 146 Post(s)
Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Diserang Fans Arsenal, Wenger Dapat Pembelaan dari Neville
Doni Wahyudi - detikSport

Manchester - Didesak mundur oleh suporter Arsenal, Arsene Wenger dapat dukungan dari Garry Neville. Wenger disebutnya punya capaian luar biasa selama 20 tahun melatih The Gunners.

"Ada yang unik dengan Arsene Wenger, apa yang sudah dia raih di klub, (dia adalah) manajer terbaik yang pernah dipunya Arsenal," ucap Gary Neville dalam wawancaranya dengan ArsenalFanTV.

Tekanan pada Wenger untuk angkat kaki dari Arsenal mengencang setelah Arsenal kalah 1-3 dari Chelsea di Stamford Bridge. Ketika itu ada suporter Arsenal yang membentangkan spanduk meminta Wenger menyudahi kerjanya di klub London tersebut.

Posisi manajer asal Prancis itu makin digoyang setelah Arsenal pulang membawa kekalahan 1-5 dari lawatan ke Bayern Munich di babak 16 besar Liga Champions.

Di tengah tekanan yang datang, Wenger masih dapat pembelaan dari Neville. Mantan kapten Manchester United itu menyebut Wenger layak dapat perlakuan yang lebh baik karena dia sudah memberikan banyak untuk The Gunners.

"Performa dan level konsistensinya selama 20 tahun sungguh luar biasa. Bukan berarti bahwa perubahan itu tidak baik, karena itu bisa saja terjadi. Tapi Arsenal membelanjakan uang lebih sedikit dibanding klub lain. Tottenham (Hotspur), Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, dan Chelsea."

"Bisa terus finis di posisi kedua, ketiga, keempat selama periode itu sementara belanjanya sedikit itu adalah pencapaian luar biasa," lanjut Neville dikuti dari ESPNFC.

Sudah 12 tahun berlalu sejak Arsenal memenangi titel Premier League. Dalam kurun tersebut 'Gudang Peluru' berhasil meraih lima trofi yakni tiga Piala FA dan dua Community Shield.
Andi Istiabudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2017, 01:46 PM   #563
zudomiriku
Happy New Year 2023

Thanked 1,785 Times in 921 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
zudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond reputezudomiriku has a reputation beyond repute

Manchester United may sacrifice FA Cup clash with Chelsea and prioritise Champions League qualification, claims former defender Gary Neville

* Manchester United face Chelsea in the last eight of the FA Cup on Monday
* Jose Mourinho's side sit two places off the Champions League places in sixth
* Their only hope of qualifying is via a top-four finish or a Europa League triumph
* Neville believes the 'FA Cup could be a competition that United sacrifice'

Manchester United may 'sacrifice' their FA Cup campaign and prioritise a tilt at Champions League qualification via the Premier League and Europa League, former defender Gary has claimed.

United face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge in the last eight of the FA Cup on Monday as they look to add to the EFL Cup title they won last month. Their only chance of qualifying for Europe's top club competition, however, is through a top-four finish or victory in the Europa League.

Jose Mourinho's side were beaten 4-0 on their last visit to the Premier League leaders in October and the Manchester United boss has ruled out playing a weakened side at Stamford Bridge despite a busy run of fixtures.

Manchester United reached the quarter-finals with victory over Blackburn in the last round. Gary Neville believes United could prioritise Champions League qualification over the FA Cup

But Neville - who won three FA Cup medals at Old Trafford - said the clash with Chelsea will be a good indication of where United's priorities lie.

'It comes down to what Mourinho prioritises. The FA Cup could be a competition that United sacrifice because they have to try and get into the Champions League,' he told Omnisport.

'Obviously the only two routes are the Europa League and Premier League games.

'It will be a big challenge mentally on Monday. It might be the one, at this moment in time, that they can sacrifice in terms of trying not to complicate the fixture congestion any more.'

To the dismay of Mourinho, United face Rostov in the second leg of their Europa League last-16 tie just three days after the clash at Stamford Bridge.

Despite their continued fixture pile up, however, Mourinho's side have lost only one of their last 28 matches in all competitions.

Quote:
MAN UNITED'S BUSY RUN OF FIXTURES

*Premier League unless stated*

13/3 - Chelsea (A, FA Cup)
16/3 - Rostov (H, Europa League)
19/3 - Middlesbrough (A)
1/4 - West Brom (H)
4/4 - Everton (H)
9/4 - Sunderland (A)

Gary Neville (left) won FA Cup medals with United in 1996, 1999 and 2004 against Millwall

But they still sit sixth in the Premier League, 17 points behind Chelsea, who have recovered from an indifferent start under Antonio Conte.

Neville had hoped United would be able to end their four-year wait for a league title this season. But he says the strength of Chelsea has ultimately made it impossible for anyone to lead his former club to a 14th Premier League triumph.

'I thought United would have a chance at the start of the season,' Neville said. 'But when Diego Costa and Eden Hazard turned up and they corrected their defensive problems by going three at the back, it became pretty apparent quickly that the old Chelsea were back.

He added: 'The challenge at United was probably bigger than what everyone thought. When I look at it now, I don't think anyone could've won the league with United this season.'

Code:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4305856/Man-Utd-sacrifice-FA-Cup-clash-Chelsea-Neville.html
Old 26-07-2017, 10:01 PM   #564
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Andi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to beholdAndi Istiabudi is a splendid one to behold

Gary Neville Liburan di Ubud, Sempatkan Nonton Bali United
Wahyu Setyo Widodo - detikSport

Jakarta - Legenda hidup Manchester United, Gary Neville, sedang liburan di Bali. Mantan kapten The Red Devils itu datang ke Pulau Dewata bersama keluarganya.

Neville pertama kali mengunggah foto liburannya pada pekan lalu, yaitu sekitar Kamis (20/7). Gary mengunggah foto hotel tempat menginap, dengan pemandangan kolam renang dan juga persawahan nan hijau di belakangnya.

"Ubud", tulis Neville dalam posting-an itu.

Meski hanya satu kata, tetapi kita langsung tahu kalau Gary Neville menginap dan liburan di kawasan Ubud. Baru di unggahan selajutnya, Gary Neville menyebut kalau dirinya menginap di Mandapa a Ritz Carlton Reserve, sebuah resort mewah di kawasan Ubud.

Tak hanya liburan, Gary Neville juga kedapatan menonton pertandingan sepakbola antara Bali United dengan PSM Makassar. Gary asyik mengabadikan suasana stadion dan juga atmosfer supporter Indonesia yang terkenal fanatik.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:55 AM   #565
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Ternyata Gary Neville lagi di Jakarta... #telatinfo
Old 01-08-2017, 01:13 AM   #566
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Penampakan Gary Neville di stadion Pakansari Cibinong kemarin saat laga PS TNI melawan Semen Padang...

Old 01-08-2017, 07:25 AM   #567
rio vander vidic
first team
-

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
rio vander vidic has a spectacular aura aboutrio vander vidic has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andi Istiabudi View Post
Ternyata Gary Neville lagi di Jakarta... #telatinfo
Yaaaah..telat ya Oom?
Udah balikah doi?
Atau kalau belum balik ada event di jakarta?
rio vander vidic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #568
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio vander vidic View Post
Yaaaah..telat ya Oom?
Udah balikah doi?
Atau kalau belum balik ada event di jakarta?
Kebetulan lagi sibuk nih jadi telat infonya, hehehe..
Old 31-08-2017, 07:32 AM   #569
Andi Istiabudi
manager

Soal Potensi Pertukaran Sanchez-Sterling, Neville Nilai Arsenal yang Akan Rugi
Novitasari Dewi Salusi - detikSport

London - Mantan pemain Manchester United yang kini menjadi pundit, Gary Neville, mengomentari soal kemungkinan pertukaran Alexis Sanchez dengan Raheem Sterling. Menurutnya, Sterling bukan pengganti sepadan untuk Sanchez.

Manchester City dikabarkan tertarik untuk mendatangkan Alexis Sanchez yang kini memasuki tahun terakhir dalam kontraknya di Arsenal. Kabarnya, The Citizens menyiapkan dana 50 juta pound untuk mendapatkan pemain internasional Chile itu.

Arsenal telah menolak penawaran dari City tersebut. Namun Arsenal disebut siap bernegosiasi apabila City memasukkan Sterling sebagai bagian penawaran.

Soal Sanchez, Neville menyarankan agar Arsenal menjualnya apabila si pemain memang sudah tidak betah. Tapi dia tak sepakat dengan gagasan menukan Sanchez dengan Sterling.

"Pandangan saya soal potensi pertukaran Sanchez untuk Raheem Sterling adalah bahwa mungkin itu akan memberi mereka (Arsenal) uang tapi itu bukan transfer yang membuat mereka lebih baik karena Sterling masih terlalu inkonsisten," Neville mengatakan kepada Sky Sports.

"Sanchez jelas akan memperkuat Manchester City karena penyelesaian akhirnya, sesuatu yang City kesulitan, dan dia bermain dalam semangat Pep Guardiola ketika dia dalam permainannya."

"Saya pikir Sanchez jelas adalah pemain yang diinginkan Pep dan saya bisa melihat itu terjadi. Arsene Wenger sudah mencoba untuk mempertahankannya tapi saya pikir ketika hal negatif seorang pemain sampai pada titik di mana itu begitu besar dan memengaruhi seluruh tim, maka Anda harus menjual."

"Bagi saya, ini adalah tuduhan yang menyedihkan, bahwa seorang pemain yang mengoptimalkan kerja keras dan semangat tak lagi peduli selama enam bulan terakhir karena saya pikir itu tidak mencerminkan karakternya," katanya.
Old 16-09-2017, 10:45 PM   #570
Andi Istiabudi
manager

GARY NEVILLE: THE NIGHT OF THE THROW-IN

Saturday marks the 25th anniversary of Gary Neville's Manchester United debut. In an exclusive long-read piece, the former club captain looks back on the night his Reds career began...

I’ve never been a crier.

There’s a lot of emotion in playing for United, but I never cried, either over winning or losing. There are three moments, though, that got me to the point of almost being emotional:

Barcelona.

Getting the contract, at 14, that said I was going to get a chance.

Making my debut.

That last one, thinking: "I’ve played for United". It was a massive moment for me. It feels such a long time ago. Well, it is a long time ago.

25 years.

And it was a throw-in. My debut was a throw-in against Torpedo Moscow. That was it. I didn’t touch the ball with my feet. I don’t know if that was the only time that’s ever happened. It typified my career, actually!

I remember the little things about the day. What sticks out most, actually, is that it was the first time I’d ever stayed in a hotel before a first-team game. My dad dropped me off at lunchtime and we stayed at the Midland Hotel in town. In those days, probably until I was 23 or 24 at United, we shared rooms. Chris Casper was in the squad too and I shared with him. I’d shared with Cas in the youth team squads, but when we got in this room, I was like:

“Cas, this is unbelievable. We’re in the Midland Hotel!”

FOOD FIGHT

We went downstairs for lunch and all this incredible food was laid out for us in a buffet. We were used to the food at The Cliff. On a Friday, Theresa who ran the canteen would put on sausage, chips and beans. Thursday was cheese flan. If the A-team had Morecambe away on a Friday night, Eric Harrison would make you put your chippy order in before the game! It was the most amazing thing. You knew that if you won, your chippy afterwards would taste so sweet. Jimmy Curran, Eric’s sidekick who was physio, masseur and all-round brilliant bloke, would wander over the road, we’d come back and he’d have it all ready for us. We’d all be fighting over what we’d ordered, usually because of Butty. Now, Butty is one of those lads who’d order fish and chips, but if the sausage and chips looked better then he’d say he’d ordered that, and someone else would always end up with the wrong order. You knew without fail that it would be Butty who’d taken the wrong one.

As you can tell, by the way, there was no dietician at the club when I first joined!

So, suddenly we’re in the Midland, me and Cas, in this grand old hotel in the centre of town, looking at this spread of food, and you think you’ve made it. As a kid, you just do.

After we’ve eaten we go back to our room, with two massive big double beds, and it was probably just a standard room, but to us it felt like a suite. And we’re thinking:

“What do we do now?”

You’re supposed to go to sleep. The older lads knew. That was the habit, so they went to sleep. But we couldn’t sleep. We were 17! We had no chance.

Butty and Becks were both in the squad as well. This was less than six months after we’d won the FA Youth Cup, and there was a real buzz building around our group. Rightly so, too. Those of us who were in that A-team still talk about those days. The football we had been playing in our first year at The Cliff was genuinely unbelievable. I look back now and remember certain things we were doing and it was football that you would see at a mature, high level.

UNREAL FOOTBALL

I remember The Cliff being full of people who were there to watch us. Anybody could walk in on the day without paying and it was full. The first team would watch too. The football was unreal, and that was without Giggsy most of the time because he was already up in the first team. When he came back down to the youth team, we got even better. We were unreal, and we didn’t even have a centre-forward most of the time. That was the one thing we didn’t have. Giggsy came in and took it to a completely different level. Midfield was Becks, Butty, Simon Davies, Ben Thornley, Keith Gillespie… Scholesy wasn’t even in the team in that first year!

Being part of that team was a privilege. I still think back to the day I got offered schoolboy apprenticeship forms. My family and I only thought I was going to get offered another year, and they offered me a four-year contract: 14 to 16 on schoolboy terms with the promise of going full-time from 16 to 18. My dad actually drove to my school and told them: “I need to take him out of school,” and when he told me I kept thinking:

“I can’t believe it.”

I’ll always remember that moment.

That moment led me into the most incredibly testing environment. The manager was demanding, but long before we worked with him, we were coached by Eric Harrison and Nobby Stiles. And by God, they were both demanding.

Imagine losing a tackle when you play in a youth team run by Nobby Stiles and Eric Harrison.

Eric was from Yorkshire, a non-league centre half who was quite possibly the grittiest, nastiest centre half you’ve ever come across. He’d probably broken his nose eight times. Tough as nails.

Nobby was Nobby.

Nobby would send us out onto the pitch and his last words to us would be:

“Remember your best friends out there.”

He meant your studs.

It was his way of telling you to win the battle. Every game, remember your best friends. If one of us lost a tackle or got topped in a game, he’d be going mad.

Those demands didn’t ease when you got nearer the first team.

A TOUGH SCHOOL

That was a dressing room of leaders. It was unbelievable how the club had amassed so many. At that time the club had Bruce, Pallister, Ince, Robson, McClair, Schmeichel, Irwin, Hughes, and any one of them could have been captain. Within a year they had Cantona and Keane too. Even Giggsy went on to be captain when he was older. Dion Dublin, Mick Phelan, Clayton Blackmore. They were great with the young lads. We were really lucky to come through that dressing room, but they were also tough on you. It was a tough school. First-team training was hard. They expected a lot from you. Demanded good passes, demanded you got to the ball, stopped the cross, defended your back post, won your headers. Losing a header wasn’t acceptable. Letting your striker flick a ball on wasn’t acceptable. Giving a pass away wasn’t acceptable. They wouldn’t accept those mistakes.

This had been drilled into me by the time I was sat in that huge room in the Midland, waiting for the night to come. My mind wandered, of course, and I just had a feeling, just a little inkling. I knew I was going to be on the bench, but I just had this little inkling that I might get on at some point. So I had to be ready. Everything had to be right.

That’s how it always had to be throughout my career. There was the odd occasion in 20 years where I might have had a Chinese takeaway on a Thursday night and I carried it into the game, so mentally I thought: “I’ve not done everything right here.” Almost all the time, though, I had. If I could tell myself I’d prepared well, I’d done the right things, eaten the right things, that was the key for me. Once I got in that tunnel, it was like a checklist. You ask yourself:

“Have I done everything I possibly can to make myself play well in this match?”

Over the years, as part of that you develop a little routine, even down to being sat in the right seat on the coach or putting the right Tubigrip tape on. When I went back for Michael Carrick’s testimonial the other month, they didn’t have my tape. I couldn’t believe it. They’d had to keep that tape for 20 years. Had to. It was my tape. Tubigrip. D width. Not E. Not C. D width. And then two tie-ups, always cut with the same scissors. I used to have two tie-ups that you were supposed to cut with bandage scissors, but I always cut them with normal scissors because I couldn’t cut them with those weird scissors. Stupid things like that through my career had to be right.

I sat in the players’ lounge toilets – the same cubicle – for 15 minutes. When the manager finished his team-talk, I’d get my kit on and go sit on the toilet, with the lid down, and just read the programme in complete peace for 15 minutes. Tranquillity.

I did that every game.

Even on the day before a game, coming off the training pitch on the day before the game, I used to zigzag sprint off the pitch. Every Friday. The new lads, the foreign lads who came in towards the end, say Ronaldo or Tevez, they’d be looking at me as if to say:

“What is this muppet doing?”

That’s just how I was.

Those things build over time, so they weren’t there ahead of my first game. But even by that stage, at 17, I just knew I had to have a massage on my lower back. I didn’t even have a bad back.

The physio, Jim McGregor, hated it.

“What’s this for?”

“I just need it.”

And he’d have to give it me. He was angry all the way through. Spitting.

Every game, for 25 years, I had that massage on my lower back.

I just needed it. Having everything just right calmed me right down. I very, very rarely got nervous over the course of my career. I was always intense before a game, but hardly ever affected by nerves. I had four games where I felt like things were getting on top of me:

My first FA Youth Cup game at Sunderland, I was nervous as hell. But it went really well.

My first big match for United was the FA Cup semi-final against Crystal Palace at Villa Park. I’d been there in 1983 and 1985 to watch semi-finals, so this was the biggest thing in the world. That’s the point, getting through that 2-2 and playing well, then playing well and winning the replay; that’s the point where I thought: “I’m in here.” I felt confident.

Then I made my England debut, and I was nervous again. I’d only played 17 games for United.

And, of course, my United debut.

DON'T COCK UP

I remember warming up during the game and thinking: “Wow.” This was the first time I’d been out on the pitch at Old Trafford and there had been a crowd. The attendance was just under 20,000, but it was still massive.

With five minutes to go, the gaffer told me to warm up again, but I thought my time had passed. I didn’t think he was bringing me on. Then he gave me a leg-up.

“You’re going on.”

Then the nerves really hit.

When you hear that and you know you’re about to run on, you go into protection mode. In your first game, with a defender’s mentality, you’re not thinking:

“I’m going to come on, score a goal and be the hero.”

You’re just not.

You’re thinking:

“Don’t cock up.”

That’s it.

As a defender back then, if you passed it well and didn’t make mistakes defensively, you’d have a good game. Nowadays you might need 10 assists and three goals per season, but back then, as a defender, your job was to serve the ball well into your forwards, serve it well into your midfielders, don’t make a mistake. That was my job. Organise. Communicate. Simple things. You’re going on thinking that if you get a touch, you have to make sure it’s a good pass.

Don’t leave your man.

Don’t get beat.

Don’t give a penalty away.

Don’t do stupid things.

Just don’t cock up.

I came on for Lee Martin and slotted in behind Andrei Kanchelskis. It wasn’t a problem being behind him. He was electric. What I found in my first 20 games for United was that Andrei was so good, most teams would drop their left winger to have a second left-back. That made it easier for me. Loads of times I was playing a game against no left winger because they had two left-backs against Andrei.

I had Becks in front of me after that, so they had to stop his crosses. That meant the left winger would drop deep again. Then when you played with Ronaldo there were two left-backs on him.

No wonder I played for 20-odd years.

I will say, though, that those three didn’t like tracking back either, so I always got it the other way!

On my debut, though, there wasn’t time for any of that. Remember, my debut was a throw-in.

So I get this throw-in, high up the field, last minute. I had a big throw anyway, but when I was younger it was even bigger. I could throw it into the box, even though Old Trafford was a big pitch.

So I launch it into the area, but it comes to nothing.

I got in the dressing room after the game, and the manager just went off on one at Gary Pallister. He went mad at him.

“Have you ever watched the youth team? You’re a disgrace. Watch the youth team and you’d know he’s got a long throw. We’re nil-nil in the last minute against Torpedo Moscow and you’re on the halfway line!”

I was a bit embarrassed really, but obviously I was buzzing.

If I died the next day, I’d played for United. From the age of four or five, that had been a dream.

SLEEP ADVICE

I remember seeing my dad after the game and it was a genuinely proud moment. He took me home and I didn’t sleep a wink. The adrenaline was still pumping. I still shared a room with our kid at that point. Actually, talking to him should have sent me to sleep. I should have said to him: “Phil, commentate on my throw-in for me.”

That would have done the trick!

For the first 10 years of my career, I couldn’t sleep after a night game. No chance.

You might sleep at 3am or 3.30am until 5.30am when you’re coming down off a game. That’s not just me, I think that’s normal. I moved into town when I was 26 or 27, and after that me and Giggsy used to go out for a couple of beers after night games. Two beers we were allowed.

“Takes the edge off you. Gets you to sleep,” he used to say.

To be fair, it did work.

Two bottles. We used to stop at Sugar Lounge for two beers after a game, then we’d go back to No.1 Deansgate and after that I started sleeping after night games. It took me 10 years to realise.

After my debut, I wasn’t wise to that yet, so I just lay there, replaying it all in my mind. My dream had come true.

Four days later, I was playing against Chester Reserves for the A-team on the Saturday morning.

The manager was an expert at giving you encouragement, but quickly making sure you didn’t get ahead of yourself. A week after my debut, Becks was given his against Brighton. The manager left me out and I was a bit upset at that, wondering why. The young lads were often dipped in and out of the squad, and I always think of it as a big test. He’d get you up but then bring you straight back down quickly.

ERIC'S MOTTO

It had been the same with Eric Harrison in the youth team. That was Eric’s motto: toughen up. I’ve left you out, so what? I left him out last week. He’s not whinging. Get on with it. Toughen up. Nobby was the same. Kiddo was the one who made you feel 10 feet tall with his encouragement, but even he wasn’t prone to going over the top. He just knew the right time to make you feel better.

All you needed from Eric or from Alex Ferguson was one line:

“Well done, son.”

When you hear that, you just think:

“I’ve done alright here.”

Praise from the manager gave you this incredible feeling, but you always knew that he could go mad. I’d seen him give Pally a roasting after the first leg against Torpedo, but that was nothing compared to what went off after the second leg.

At the time, I was on £29.50 a week, plus £10 expenses. That’s what we all got paid. Becks, Butty, me, all of us. Nobody was on anything different. Becks was on the bench, Butty was on the bench. It was a £2,000 bonus per player if we got through the tie and you’d played both games. If you got on the pitch in one game but not the next, then it was £1,500. It was £1,000 if you’d been in the squad at all.

So we travelled over to Moscow for the return leg and we were stood at the side of the bench.

It was 0-0 again. It went to penalties.

Between us we’ve got £3,500 riding on this shootout. I’m on for £1,500 and it was a grand each for Becks and Butty. We’re thinking:

“Never mind the result, this is 40 weeks’ wages!”

We literally were going to put payments down on cars as soon as we got back to Manchester.

We went 2-0 up after Torpedo missed their first two penalties.

…and we still lost!

Brucey, Choccy and Pally all missed. Some of the worst penalties I’ve ever seen.

In the dressing room afterwards, the three of us are virtually crying in the corner because we’d lost three and a half grand to Torpedo Moscow. I’d lost my Peugeot GTI. I think Becks was ordering a Maserati with his.

To this day, Brucey, Choccy and Pally owe us cars.

A BUNCH OF MANIACS

The gaffer came into the dressing room afterwards and it was like World War Three. He sets about the three of them, arguing about the penalties, and Robbo stepped in. Somebody else stepped in. The gaffer hadn’t calmed down by that point, and with the relationship he had with those lads, he was able to properly get at them. If those lot had started throwing punches, then we were in trouble. They were maniacs. Over the next couple of seasons I saw it happen more than once. I remember him going mad at Blackburn when we lost 2-0 and Shearer scored both, then at Liverpool after we lost a three-goal lead and drew, Barcelona away after losing 4-0.

You see this and you’re thinking:

“These lot are a bunch of maniacs. What are we letting ourselves in for here?”

That was all part of it, though.

It was surreal. In fact, I’d go as far as to say that it’s not real. I don’t think playing football for United is real. You go out and stand in that tunnel and you become something completely different. It’s not a normal feeling. It’s something that players, when they retire, they struggle to replicate. They don’t know what it is. It’s adrenaline, a buzz, something that comes into your body and you just think:

“This. This is… amazing.”

And you never forget the first time you feel it.

www.manutd.com

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 109
Aba_MaczUnited, adesaktiTRK, adittelor, AdministratoR, agylbonez, alfiandrmwn, ali_iyan, and1, Andi Istiabudi, annetapitt5084, Ardiey11, Ayunda, bangkit, bang_zak, benatbenat, binsar p sigalingging, Blacklist7, Bloody "Devil" R3d, cimbuang69, dannyboy, Deddy Hernandez, dee_vee7, deni krosiawan, derajulio, dery pramudito, der_emperor, dhanimrh10, dhanuanakilang, Eka UPC, endhy_cantona, erin, eyeofday, fadilbedil, Fajar_, fajrinited, fey777, fikrirf, fredrian.seven, frmnsyh_KEANO, Gustiono, h-ANG, Haji Paidin, Hand_rooney, hdhe16, hendiplast, HenryRooney07, HRHMU86, iamsetia, id4y, ing areese, irfan_thered, irfi_1, irhamutd, J. A. Adji, jifortin, jojo poenya, LAM ILHAM, Lang25, Mahesa_Jenar, moehfar, MUFC1878, Muhammad Nizar, ncut_lgx, NdeGue, nobitanta, nu_reccayasha, oldark, Oom Panda, paiman, penk22_, Pure_red, Rean, Redsbusby, red_girl_mia, revald, Richo Supit, rio vander vidic, Rizana, rizluq, rndr_UICSumenep, robby7beckham, ronald hars, rooneyglory10, SatriaRedArmy, sepatu_ancur, simamora16, SR 7, stamansa, Syarifeghy, Trezz Kiko, tumpal_oneunited, Ucup Carrick, UdyMUFC, UNITED1878, Van_Munandar, Vicario, Victory, victory II, wazzapoetra, wira_ozora, zeavhere, zizitchy, zudomiriku